RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming off a highway at about 40 mph I turned into the slip road. It turned out to be slightly tighter than I had anticipated but was nonetheless, in my opinion, within the cars capabilies. All of a sudden the front wheel on the outer side of the curve started to intermitently lock up and release, like the abs was coming on and off. It was only the one tyre and it did this 3 or 4 times in quick succession.

I have driven over 20,000 miles in my TDV8 and quickly through windy mountain roads, yet have never experienced this before. Is this some kind of ECU nanny kicking in as it felt I was going round the corner too fast or something else?

I dont now if this is related to the fact that I have on order an exhaust muzzle kit for the air compressor as I am getting that 'suspension fault' warning at the moment.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd say its the dynamic stability control kicking in:

Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
The Range Rover is fitted with new-generation Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) that incorporates multiple sensors to help ensure safe handling and cornering. By constantly monitoring critical functions, the system applies braking to each wheel and modulates engine power to keep your course steady and on-track.

Its basically sensed that you entered the corner too quickly and it'll do what it needs to in order to try and stop the RR flipping or leaning too hard.

It was a feature they used to show off when the RR was released by flooring the car across a rutted muddy field, then pulling the steering hard to the side to try and make it flip. the car would back off the power and hit the brakes and still go round the corner. Its something I noticed over the winter too. At slow speeds I was trying to go round a sharp corner on an off camber hill in the snow, and i reckoned the car put the brake on the inside rear of the corner and helped the car pull round. Clever stuff for sure.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I concur re: DSC. I was on a mud road (also referred to as a dirt road, without the benefit of gravel, recently rained on) arguably driving a tad faster than conditions warranted when the mud refused to allow my steering impulses to correct my direction of travel. By turning the wheel and tapping the brakes, DSC kicked in and kept me traveling in a straight line -- it was an interesting sensation to feel it act. The mud almost won, and took about an hour to wash from the wheel wells later that day.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
you can turn off some of the DSC elements for wheelspin by holding in the DSC button for 10 seconds with the key in the on position before starting.

from bimmernav

"Did you know you can turn the DSC into Competition Driving Mode. Press and hold the DSC button for 10 seconds until the light goes out on the dash. This mode gives you active handling via the brakes but NO throttle managerment when DSC engages. It is also good for snow/ice operation when you want the tires to spin."

I have had to use it in slippery thin mud situations so the thing wouldn't stop my wheels from spinning and stopping forward momentum...

JH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts