RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, started my RRC 3.9v8 yesterday for about 10 seconds to move it. Started and ran as usual, turned off. Went to it today, no start. Getting fuel and it did make a small pop or two to start but not enough to crack up. Turning over healthily. Could it be flooded from yesterday? I will start normal diagnostics soon but just wondered if anyone experienced similar with an easy solution. Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The rover is just messing with you
.... if it’s fuel problem
Try a little starter fluid
Of it don’t hit is eather spark or timeing
With the popping
I’d say a small timeing tweak
Might be needed
And sure your gonna think
It’s been running fine no way
Sure I get it
But......

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pull the fuel pump fuse, then crank it with throttle wide open, it should show signs of firing then.

Put fuse back in, leave throttle alone, should then fire.

That's if as you suspect it's flooded from last run. That's quite possible I've seen it before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what it is before but just wondering if the quick blast has upset it. I'll probably leave it alone until Saturday so it all may have changed then. Will start looking at usual ignition suspects if still nothing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh they'll definitely do that along with few other engines from that era.

It starts with a pretty rich mixture and leaves the plugs fairly wet if you turn it off in such a short period, making it difficult to fire again.

It'll probably just start if left for a few days.

On an old carb fed example you can just hold the throttle wide open to get an excess of air in it. But on this if cold, you get rich mix from ecu plus if you hold throttle down it'll add fuel for acceleration condition as read from throttle pot position. Hence the routine above to get air into it by stopping the fuel pump while you crank it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took a plug out to check for spark. Lovely bright spark and almost instantly, fired up! Popped the plug back in (which was certainly very fuely) and then she cracked back in. A bit lumpy initially but settled quickly. Remind me never to turn it off quickly again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
JJKM
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing