RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals!
I'm still new here and won't be very helpful on the L322 forum for a while. I've been a Classic guy for 15yrs and finally upgraded my 94 LWB for an 08 RRSC. So wife and i took a bit of a road trip today and after about an hour I started to hear/feel and strange "whom whom whom" noise (I know! I used to hate it when people would try and replicate the noise) At first I chalked it up to maybe something in the road as it wasn't always present but then I would hear/feel it again. Almost felt like a bad u-joint in a front drive shaft. I got very familiar with this and my 3" lifted LWB. Any ideas? Maybe the dif was locking itself up every so often? I love these trucks but also understand that humidity and barometric pressure changes can give these older trucks electronics a mind of their own sometimes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohh. To clarify, at one point it would do it every 10-20 secs. Each time it was 3 distinct "whom whom whom" about a half second apart. All boots are intact and cv's are silent still. In the parking lots anyways. The front end does have a few loose suspension components but nothing serious yet. Stock tire size.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
A video would be great. I assume you can not determine where it’s coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Try turning off your A/C compressor the next time it does it, my 06 makes this moaning noise every so often (not usually in the winter though), sounds like its coming from the drivers side firewall area and it goes away as soon as the compressor is shut off. Refrigerant isn't low as best I can tell its just something I can hear, probably no one else in the car would hear it so its not very loud, its pretty quiet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thought. I wish I had some wireless microphones I could place in areas of interest. Hour driving straight today, 55-60mph then some 70-80mph no noise!!! It didn't notice the other day till I had been on the road for over 2 hours.
Nothing aside from a few loose bushings points me towards anything. I could swear it's a driveline thing. visually all looks in great shape there. I haven't put the truck on stands yet and really wrestled with the shafts yet though. I will report.

If it comes back, I'll be sure to get some video and audio. Or were you wanting me to record myself making the whom whom whom noise?!?! lol

A video would be great. I assume you can not determine where it’s coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AC wasn't activated. I shut everything down once I noticed it. I can feel it slightly in the steering wheel as well as the floor. It's very very faint but being a long time Range Rover owner, i like to think I'm pretty in tune. It does feel/sound like it's on the left/driverside front. I have a fairly rough driveway with some washed areas where the suspension articulates a bit. This morning when cold (running for 2 mins 30 degrees F) I did get a groan from the drivers front. I'm putting more and more on possible the front diff.
Is the front diff a LSD or just open on an 08 FFRR supercharged?

Try turning off your A/C compressor the next time it does it, my 06 makes this moaning noise every so often (not usually in the winter though), sounds like its coming from the drivers side firewall area and it goes away as soon as the compressor is shut off. Refrigerant isn't low as best I can tell its just something I can hear, probably no one else in the car would hear it so its not very loud, its pretty quiet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank you both for chiming in. One of my pet peeves is folks who troll forums for answers and never bother posting a problem solved msg. Just plain selfish!!!!

Any thread I start will end with a fixed scenario!
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Both front and rear diffs on the 06 to 08 L322 4.2L and 4.4L are open differentials, they aren't even what we would call Posi differentials (no clutch packs) in the US.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have an '04 L322 with 152k miles and I had to replace three wheel bearing hubs for a "whom, whom" noise. At first I would hear the sound at low speeds, below 30 mph and it was less audible at hwy speeds. Both front wheel hub bearings were replaced within 1,500 miles of each other and I just replaced one of the rear wheel hubs roughly 1,500 miles after the last front hub ( picked up the rr today ), noise is gone :). Is the frequency of the sound related to the speed of your car?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That makes a lot of sense. I've got a bunch loose up front but the wheel bearings still feel tight. It has been seeming to get a little worse as I continue to drive it. Lately, my transmission valve body has taken my attention away from it a bit as the most important. It's driving me nuts. Shifts fine cold then as it warms up I get a slip between 3-4. sometimes worse than others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts