Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RR 2005 I've noticed when I start up from cold a noise coming from the back which you can here inside and outside, it sounds like, tick tick tick tick or drip drip drip drip every 2 seconds it seems to stop after about 3 miles of driving but also stops when the keys are taken out the ignition, does anyone have any ideas?

Also I've noticed a high pitch noise which seems to be coming from somewhere behind the front passenger side wheel arch, this seems to stop once the car is turned off after about 1 minute, any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
You're in the UK, is 05 BMW or Jag engine over there? - and if you say anything with TD in front of it, I'm going to bail from this thread...

The noise at the rear may be nothing more then the DMTL pump doing its job, it is located in the RH rear wheel well, below the fuel filler neck (again, all based on US vehicles)

Only high pitched noise that comes to mind would be the E-box fan, but that's on our passenger's side, so I assume it would be your driver's side, can you hear this noise from inside the cabin too?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it was the BMW engine but just been informed from someone who works for land rover that it was updated to the jaguar engine at the same time the satnav was changed to touch screen.

He also said that the high pitch noise is the auxillery fuel burning heater which is activated when temperature drops to 4 degrees or lower, and it's not a problem.

I hope this is right

·
Registered
203 Posts
He also said that the high pitch noise is the auxillery fuel burning heater which is activated when temperature drops to 4 degrees or lower, and it's not a problem.

I hope this is right
I always thought that the FBH was only fitted to Diesels?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
I always thought that the FBH was only fitted to Diesels?
Apparently it's fitted to petrol engined cars too - unless the instructions in the Owners Manual for my 2010 are different to David's 2005. In the Owners Manual for my car it refers to different FBH running times for petrol and diesel cars. Both, when on automatic in the 'timed climate system', come on once or twice at the same time every day which is repeated each day providing that the vehicle is actually driven every day. If the vehicle is _not_ driven, the system will be suspended (shut down) after 24 hours and not be resumed until the ignition is turned on again.

However, if at any time during FBH operation the ignition is turned on, that automatically cancels the FBH so I do not understand why David's FBH would continue making strange noises for 3 miles of driving or until the engine warms up.

Of course, the 'timed climate system' can be deactivated completely and then manually switched on before getting in to the car when required by using the little key fob 'blipper' that came with my 2010 TDV8. Gives me time to get breakfast! :)

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I thought it was the BMW engine but just been informed from someone who works for land rover that it was updated to the jaguar engine at the same time the satnav was changed to touch screen.
This is not true for US spec vehicles at least, our 05 was BMW power plant, with updated Denso nav/audio system.

We don't have FBH here, so can't make any comment on that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is the Diesel engine, the fbh is deactivated in the settings menu so I wasn't sure why it comes on, I've got a fob but I've never used it, it's just left in the glove box. I have noticed that yesterday & today it wasn't making the high pitch sound, I was assuming that this May because the temperature was 10 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.