RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 model. Original stereo. The CD player/radio plays as normal upon initial start up, but cuts off after just a few seconds and won't come back on (makes a fart sound just before cutting out! lol). All lights, etc. work on it with no fault codes. Is my head unit failing? Could it somehow possibly be related to the sub/amp in the back? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Well, the bad news is that it "sounds" like your DSP Amp is packing it in. Sadly, common at this time in it's life.
You can of course try re seating all plugs and looking for corrosion.
The biggest plug is on the amp itself which will be behind the sub woofer hidden in the quarter panel. Other places to check are plugs behind kick panels in drivers and passengers foot wells.
The other bad news is these amps are getting as hard to find as unicorn poop.
The good news is Marty here has come up with a really good option to tearing out the whole thing........he is/ will be selling a kit to use the low line amps to replace the DSP amp which you have.....
Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be possible to just take it to a stereo shop and have them install a new aftermarket amp and sub in the back and leave the rest original? I apologize, but I'm not too familiar with the P38 wiring...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Unfortunately, the answer is "Probably not"
The probability of finding a stereo shop competent enough to do this is vanishingly small.....
The issue is the DSP system which has the head unit providing only 2 channels out. L&R.
The amp takes that and creates all of the other channels. without the stock amp, you are stuck.
As I said, Marty on this forum is working on a solution. Otherwise, you could just do a complete swap out and be done. Not stock, but it has been done many times.....
Try RAVE for wiring, but I believe there are about a thousand posts on this one, so you may benefit from others experiences. try search.......

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies Bolt! Yes, I'd like to keep it as stock as possible. I love still having a working tape deck! lol I also just spent a bunch of money replacing the sticking CD unit with a NOS one I found on EBay..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That's funny!
I added an USB input to mine so I could use digital media, however, the main reason I have bothered with the stock unit on mine was the big box of cassettes I have!
Try Scotty, he may have a good pull out HK DSP amp?
BTW, I have gone through 3 DSP amps, an still have no rears and no Sub, as i am using an amp from a Disco......Got discouraged after the 3rd amp went ten toes up!
When I get back to it, I will try Marty's wire kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts