RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.6 V8 P38 MY 2000 165.000 km:

My problem is I have this ratteling sound from the undercarriage when I drive over speedbumps or even drive on an uneven surface.
Yesterday I finally got time to do a bit of research.... took everything out of the boot - checked the sparewheel and the tools.... everything was fine there.

It sounds as if it's the shock absorbers (Monroe Gas - 50.000km)- but they are ok - I'm suspecting the rear exhaust for hitting the inner plastic next to the mud guards... I also have to get some copper bolts and refit the heat shields for the exhaust - they are a bit loose at the moment....

I've tried to se if any of the bushes are worn out - but haven't found anything yet.... this rattling is making me nuts!! :evil:

I've wondered if the radius arms could be making this sound... sometimes I also get some noise from the front end....

I have a full set of blue "Poly'bush" - So maybe it's time to do a complete overhaul - and change them all.

I've fitted the bushes for the shock absorbers some time ago - and that made some sounds go away for some time - but now it's back (GRRRR) I checked that there was not something loose yesterday - did not find anything :crybaby2: .

My towbar (the detachable part) sits a bit loose - but it's always been like - don't really care - I've never used it!!!

Any suggestions are VERY welcome :idea: :idea:

Ferdinand - I love my car - even when it's not behavin' :wink:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Might want to check the rubber donut that holds the muffler in place as well.

If the sound is more of a knock, then I would check the u-joints.

Regards,

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "donuts" are ok - but have thought about changing them as well - better safe than sorry!!

The sound is a deep'ish metal like rattling sound - i'm actually thinking that maybe the rear shocks are "dead" but the road handling is great -

Maybe it's just time to do an overhaul with all the bushes - thank God I bought a 30 tonne work shop hydraulliv press last summer!!!! (still totally unused LOL)

Also need to change the waterpump, chain in engine - get a new flexiplate - hell might as well buy a new car - but I love the old brit' - and the car as well (Girlfriend is Scottish - ohh she would kill me if she read this LOL)

The passion for a Range Rover is strange: They cost a small fortune to buy - maintenance is relatively ok'ish - they are thirsty like alcoholics, you can rely on the fact that they WILL break down when you don't need it!!! And still we love them.... I've decided that I'll never part with this car (unless it gets totalled of course) But then I would buy the wreck are keep it for parts - and but another P38 4.6 V8 - because fuel is such a great thing to spend money on....

·
Registered
966 Posts
If the upper bolts on the rear shocks aren't tightened with He-Man strength, you will hear a rattle when going over bumps. Might want to just stick an extension in there and give them a turn and see if that helps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you suggesting that I used She-Man strength in stead? LOL - I know what you mean - will give that try as well - I have a 400 Nm Stahlville torquewrench - I think that will do the job - well maybe a little less...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Probably not the case, but this would totally happen to me after I take apart the rear end... and find license plate is loose lol.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning I had to make a hard breaking - some idiot pulles out in front of me - and I felt a big vibration in the driveline - there'a never been any problems with my brakes - I don't suspect them to be the culprit - but maybe UJ's or the autobox because of the flexplate.....

Oh Lord won't you buy me a box full of spares...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Might want to get it up on some blocks to pinpoint whats going on. Have someone run with wheels and brake suddenly while you are CAREFULLY under the car checking things out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tonight I'm going to check al the bolts for the shock's and maybe change the rubber donuts for the exhaust..... Keeping all my fingers crossed that I'll find the some fault there - at least for the noise from the undercarriage LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night I got time to do a bit more research and it seens that Jsmooth65 was right :dance: :dance: - I did apparently NOT use He-Man strength when I tightned the bolt for the hear shock's . I think they are now at about 150 :shock: Nm so guess that will do the job. Also the heat shields were a bit loose - refitted the clips - but will buy some copper nuts and fiber washers and do them to night!!!

So thank you everyone for your great suggestions - as always a graet site with other passionate P38 drivers (victims LOL) :pray: :pray:

Ferdinand: Asphalt is evil - MUST be punished :twisted:

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm fairly sure every possible noise and problem has been sorted on this site. Glad to see it worked.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ferdinand, thanks for making me laugh as I read your posts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Diff,

Well as in the good old saying - can't remember who though - we aim to squeeze/ please - whatever you prefer....

The car is - again been an absolute pleasure to drive since the noises from the undercarriage was fixed... :D the sun is shining, the iPod was playing old tunes with Chris Rea... He.. what can go wrong today.. Oh I know I'm at work now! D.mn!

Now I only have to fix a lot of other things (se above) on the car - just waiting a few more weeks so I can get the the old the grey one out of the garage (The car - in case you wondered) - I don't wanna start fixing the Range Rover and then realise that.. oups... I need some ridiculous part for the job.... and then I can't get the car working for monday morning...

Ferdinand - just waiting for the weekend to give the P38 a good wash and a good polish - there's nothing like a clean car - they somehow drive better....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts