RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitely not my imagination but it may be nothing to worry about.

When at about 25-35 mph, if I turn into a slightly sloped driveway, (I know that's fast for entering driveways:roll: ), I hear and feel something catching/scraping, almost as if the tires are hitting the wheel well (I have the stock 21" wheels and tires).

This may have become an issue after that off road adventure I had recently.

I have visually inspected the underbody and the wheel wells and cannot find anything at all that would cause this. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? I plan to take my service rep for a ride and have him test it out as well the next time I'm up there, but I'm wondering whether I should do it immediately or wait until next time I need to go in.

·
Registered
437 Posts
When at about 25-35 mph, if I turn into a slightly sloped driveway, (I know that's fast for entering driveways:roll: ), I hear and feel something catching/scraping, almost as if the tires are hitting the wheel well (I have the stock 21" wheels and tires).
I don't think I've heard anything on mine, but then again I haven't taken any turns/driveways at 30mph. Do you hear it also when you drive slower? It might be as you suspect, the wheel wells rubbing on the tires.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Definitely not my imagination but it may be nothing to worry about.

This may have become an issue after that off road adventure I had recently.

I have visually inspected the underbody and the wheel wells and cannot find anything at all that would cause this. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? I plan to take my service rep for a ride and have him test it out as well the next time I'm up there, but I'm wondering whether I should do it immediately or wait until next time I need to go in.
Hey Trez ever figure out what the heck it was? Now I have this and I am dumb founded. Just spent almost 30 minutes at a local gas station looking under the car to see if anything is visibly wrong and nothing! Even more strange only happens when turning right. Not the suspension clunk, this like dragging something, or rubbing sensation under the car. There is also a weird faint sound that goes with it that's hard to describe. It's strange I get this at 6300 miles. I'll be adding this to list of service items and will bring it up when I got talk to my dealer later, but it would help if I Atleast had some clue what it might be.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the same "Suspension Thump" a lot of owners is dealing with now. JLR really doesn't have a solution and my dealer is basically saying that it's a normal consequence of the dynamic system. Which is BS. You'll notice that when the car is cold, this won't happen. It only seems to happen when it gets warmed up and when you're turning into a slop at a bit of speed (not fast, like greater than 10mph).

Sorry that yours has this too now.

Question for you, have you ever been offroad in your car? I have a feeling that's when it all started.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Actually my car has had thud issues going back to July last year just a week after I took delivery problems started. That cluncking issue has never been successfully solved 100% but is much better than it used to. So no its not that. I am very familiar with that. This is a grrr-r-r-r-rrh type sound and sensation like you are dragging something under the car. Yes you are right turning right into a sloped multi-level garage you hear it constants on the right while moving. When you go in the opposite direction (left) it never makes any noise. Now interestingly the thud aka clunk is also on the right side.

Obviously it could be something related, but this is new to me and am wondering if anyone else has had this resolved and can tell me what was done. I had the clunk long before I first went off road. This grinding started recently and I havent been off road a few months now. There seems to be no relationship between off roading and these suspension maladies, but I could be wrong. These cars are made to go off road it would suck if going off road triggers supension problems. I had the car put on a lift to see anything obvious was loose or broken and everything looks perfect. :? No idea what it would be. I'll let dealer figure it out but just wanted to know if anyone had this and could enlighten me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts