RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at this point I have not done all of my research on the issue yet. But I wanted to at least start the conversation. I have already gone through the electrical sticky and solved a few issues with the battery cables, battery, alternator, etc... But I stil have a couple of nagging issues with the BECM and Instrument Pack.

1 The fuel gauge is off and does not read a consistent level. The level is all over the place.
3 I get intermittent Alternator fault messages.
4 The Window mirrors dip on reverse the wrong way. They go up on reverse instead of down. (This may be something else)

To me this all sounds like a ground problem. The DACs in the BECM are not able to function properly. I checked the grounds on the BECM. I already measured the fuel sender outputs to be normal and consistent. The alternator is outputting the correct voltage. The two grounds under the hood (frame, block) have been cleaned. Reading 40mv drop.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Storey, unplug the wire harness which plugs in to the rear of the BECM. You can reach it reach it from the back seat by moving the seat forward. Look at that connector to make sure it looks good. Also the dash wire harness, connector is behind the passenger foot well kick panel. Front right.. I have seen this in the past and have found loose and or corroded wires behind that kick panel.

Good Luck

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scotty,
Thanks for the advice. I will check those specific connectors. I will also check all of the connectors on the BECM. The BECM was out of the vehicle last year when I sent it off to you for programming. So perhaps I missed something.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Storey behind that kick panel I mentioned, I'm pretty sure there's a ground for the dash harness. Hey there's a ground behind the A/C controller as well.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the BECM this weekend and cleaned all the connectors with the deoxit gold cleaner and protector. No change in the fuel gauge behavior, Alternator fault or Strange Mirror behavior.

Scotty, All of the symptoms were noticed around the time I had the BECM re-flashed. Can we rule out any issue with that procedure? Just brainstorming the problem a bit. Not assuming anything at this point.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Storey, the BECM (flash) is simply soldering wires on the chip which holds the program, which is bottom board stuff. Your issues are top board related.

Do you have the ability to test actuators individually?

I'll give ya a call..

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Inspection of the kick panel revealed nothing of great significance. But it occurred to me to measure the voltage drop between the kick panel ground point and the different engine bay ground locations.
- To the Battery was 23mv.
- To the suspension ground post was 3mv
- To the Engine Block ground was 85mv.
So at this point I think I need to replace some ground cables first. I will re-run the battery to suspension post and suspension post to engine block grounds. This would follow what has already been necessary on the 12v alternator to battery wiring that was bad.

Scotty, thank you for the voice mail message. That was considerate. In answer to your question, yes I did keep both the grounding cable and the 2 12v cables in the correct orientation upon all the BECM refit work that has been performed. Not sure if the ground cable would even reach that far forward on the BECM terminal post locations. But thank you for the lateral thinking. I was not really in any way thinking that the re-flash would have caused this. Just making sure we can put that idea in the "not a chance" pile.

Which actuators on which vehicle sub system are you referring to.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,215 Posts
Storey, the BECM (flash) is simply soldering wires on the chip which holds the program, which is bottom board stuff. Your issues are top board related.

Do you have the ability to test actuators individually?

I'll give ya a call..

Scotty
The mirrors and instrument cluster are all controlled by the logic board. Other than power, I don't remember anything else related to the top board that's in common with the issues mentioned.

Most of the communications to the instrument pack are all done over the serial link from the BECM, and likewise the mirrors are commanded over the serial link to the door outstation. If there was an issue with power or serial link to the outstation though, then central locking and window also wouldn't work.

You should be able to measure the input to the BECM from the fuel sender to make sure the BECM is getting a proper signal.

It does sound like it could be a grounding issue and as Scotty says the ground point for all the instrument cluster and fascia is behind RHF kick panel. It could be worth checking continuity at the instrument cluster on its ground pins back to chassis ground to just make sure there isn't an issue in the loom somewhere...

I have read on a couple of occasions that the instrument cluster itself has issues and gone faulty but that wouldn't affect the mirrors though.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,215 Posts
Sorry, missed where you said you had tested the fuel sender already...

Alternator fault messages (from memory) are generated on loss of signal on the small brown wore off the back of the BECM - when voltage is present there from the alternator, then the BECM sees that and then switches off the battery warning light on the dash. Might be worth checking this wire too.

If everything checks out and everything else electrical in the vehicle works, then I would unfortunately start wondering if something on the logic board has failed (probably only one or two components) that's messing with those individual systems.

Hope its something simple and easy though.

Marty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
I'll call ya ..

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A replacement BECM logic board resolved the issue of the reverse mirrors dipping the wrong direction.

The fuel gauge issue was not corrected with the replacement board. I have verified that the fuel gauge sender has been intermittently sticking or jamming. So sometimes it would read correctly and other times not.

In regards to the alternator fault message. I still get those from time to time. Not sure what that issue is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts