RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this before with the Wagners I recently replaced but thought it would be different after installing the Hella H4 “upgrade”. Alas...no

Has anyone ever seen one headlight more dim than the other. In this case it’s my passenger side that’s dimmer than the driver’s side from all angles and any distance. I’ve changed all the fuses but not the relay. Anything else I can check?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
there are two improvements of which older rovers benefit, disassemble/pin out the headlight terminals one at a time so to avoid confusion and using a small wire brush clean every terminal, for further protection dress with dielectric grease.
Find the headlight ground circuit and clean the same manner. finally in extreme cases I have seen guys installing 30 amp relays to each headlight circuit. all in combination assure a continuous uninterrupted power supply and excellent outcome, one at time yield fantastic results. after all it is a 26 yr old electric system.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant! Any idea where the grounds are? Also would you have a link to where/how I’d install the relay?

·
Registered
401 Posts
You can buy a relay wire harness which connects in your car light sockets then into your lights and you power and earth it separately. This way the original light circuit only has to power the relay and the light get their power from your new power source and earth. It provides more voltage to the lights (brighter) and takes the load of the wiring inside the car. They are quite easy to install.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense. Just from the local auto parts store?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
yes for the relay, amazon and ebay come up with several styles as well. the rave should be able to guide you with grounds, but if I recall they are in the vicinity of the battery boxes. do a search for daytime running light relay setup, 30 amp relay or headlamp relay kit.
another option albeit pricey is painless wiring.
on my discovery2 the left ground wire was broken/corroded inside the harness, thus my solution was to install a new ground wire even thou the original looked perfect.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Type in H4 wiring harness in Amazon and you get a few options. Between $25-35 depending on quality. H4 / 9003 is the headlight bulk style with the 3 prongs. The sealed headlights have the same socket.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m on it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed a new double 30amp wiring harness and now the drivers side is more dim than the passenger, which is opposite of how it was before. The only difference is that this new harnes has one tie-in to the old harness, but it’s to the passenger light. The drivers light feeds off of the passenger side harness, the batter and relay. Each side has its own ground. I wonder if I need to alter the driver side new harness to tie into the existing harness to boost the signal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts