RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having some strange electrical issues with my 95 LWB. I know electrical issues on classics are as common as rust, but the symptoms just don't seem to make a lot of sense.

My rear wiper does not work at all. The rear heated screen doesn't work at all either. No response from the switches. My front heated screen does not work either. Pressing the button does nothing. However, after having the key on for a little while (about a minute) one of the relays on the bracket in the picture starts oscillating on and off very fast and then clicks on. The relay in question is the yellow one second from the top on the right side of the bracket that is unclipped and out of place. When it clicks on the light for the front heated screen is on and there is no way to turn it off. Pressing the button does nothing. I looked through the electronic troubleshooting manual but the relay isn't there. The front fog light relay above it is shown and the power wash relay below it is shown but not this one. So I'm not sure what it does.

Shortly after the heated screen comes on, the wiper relay starts oscillating and the wipers come on. There is no way to turn them off either. If I set them to high then they speed up but in every other position they just stay on low.

If I turn the key off and on again the cycle repeats.

Before the relays start buzzing, the wipers work normally on low and high and park properly. Intermittent doesn't work. Sometimes the wipers will wipe continuously and sometimes they won't wipe at all. If I play with the intermittent part of the wiper switch, the same relay will start buzzing but strangely enough, the red fasten seat belt light flickers in sync with it.

The only common factor between all of these problems is the MFU multi-function unit and I can't get the fuse box that it is mounted to the back of out from under the drivers side of the dash.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got it figured out. The PO had taken one of the fuses out so that the interior lights wouldn't come on when the doors were open because a mis-adjusted tailgate was preventing them from going out. This also caused the chimes to be disabled. Since I had fixed all the door switches I put the fuse back in to get the chimes back and now everything is working again. Obviously some of the logic in the MFU is powered by that fuse.

I am repeatedly impressed by how poorly the electrical system on these vehicles was designed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts