RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

So it is MOT time for my P38 once again and I turn my attention to any issues that the car has. I have fixed all the advisories from last year but remembered the strange ABS problem that this car has which I really should try to get to the bottom of now, thankfully this one shouldn't fail my MOT test but it is annoying and high time I got it sorted!

My car is a 2001 4.0 HSE on Wabco type D ABS, I have had two problems with the ABS in the past and fixed them both so I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on the system and where the various components are located and roughly what they do. I think this particular problem has existed a long time, through the other 2 issues I have had with the ABS, which were an intermittent bad connection in a wheel speed sensor connector and a duff wheel speed sensor.

So the problem is this: I start up and drive away, all warning lights extinguish as normal, drive as normal, all is fine, get to around 50 - 60 mph, that horrible P38 BEEP BEEP BEEP sounds and then warning messages and icons are displayed for ABS and traction fault. Get home, connect up my Bearmach diagnostic box and it tells me that I have a historic fault code of LHR speed sensor air gap too large. I have cleared the fault code, gone out again and got the same result again.

The wheel speed sensor is a genuine Wabco sensor and appears to be sat in the hub just the same as the other side. I think my first step is going to be swap the sensors between rear left and rear right and see if my air gap too large fault code changes or carries across to the other side.

Has anyone else here had a problem at a specific speed with your P38 ABS??

Thoughts appreciated and I'll update with my findings from swapping the sensors later this week.

Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Tap it in further with a mallet. They should be pushed in fully as there is one tooth on the reluctor ring that is marginally taller than all the others that pushes the sensor out to get the correct air gap. That, or you have a knackered wheel bearing so the ring is moving away from the sensor at speed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts