RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out tonight to the supermarket, all OK on the way, came out and the car will not start. The engine turns over well but there is no sign that the engine wants to start. My biggest problem is that I'm in Greece at the moment and the nearest Land Rover stealership is a distant 100 miles away.

The car is a 2005 BMW engined diesel. I get no messages from the message center. I am assuming the engine is not getting any fuel. I tried (in the dark) to check the fuel pump fuse which looked (as far as I could see) OK.

I have had to abandon the car until daylight. Any help would be appreciated before I call a tow truck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Could be a failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor or the Camshaft Position Sensor as it would result in cranking the engine but fails to start.

Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
roverron said:
Could be a failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor or the Camshaft Position Sensor as it would result in cranking the engine but fails to start.

Good luck
Thanks, Is there anything else that would cause this non starting problem?

Also how do I get the gearbox out of 'park'? for putting the car on a flat bed tow truck.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Not sure exactly, count, but if you check the owner manual, there is likely to be a fuse which needs to be put in place which will put the transfer box or gearbox into neutral, just like the P38 does.

Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for your predicament!! The last time you used the car, had you left it running / idling for a period of time???

For some reason if i leave my car running for 15-20mins without driving it then shut it down, it won't start afterwards. It seems like the secondary fuel pump is faulty. If i leave the car for a while it will start again first time. Its a strange fault but sounds like the same as you have??

I haven't got round to changing my secondary fuel pump yet to test the theory but i will do soon.

If you see the following link it may help you out.

http://www.rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremed ... l#starting

All the best!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don' understand why car is locked in P if the engine turns over.
If however you need to release the P. The cover around the lever will lift off and the pawl which locks the lever in pisition can be manually released. Not easy to see but once you work it out it requires skill not force!!
Had to do it myself.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,315 Posts
Can you not move the lever out of Park simply by placing your foot on the brake pedal with the ignition switched on?

Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hence my Query. If you can turn the key why won't it move out of park anyway. regardless of engine starting or not!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CountryRover said:
Hence my Query. If you can turn the key why won't it move out of park anyway. regardless of engine starting or not!
OK I can move the gear lever to neutral for transportation, I will await the stealership's diagnosis.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed!!!

Got the car back today. The fuel pump had to be replaced. Not a cheap repair. The following prices are in Euros

Tow truck: 230
Pump: 460
Labour: 90

This on top of the 1700 to replace the turbo a short time ago makes this an expensive start to 2010.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm also having periodic problems starting my 2003 RR. At least once a day it doesn't turn over and chokes. But if I take my key out of the ignition and ty again it starts beautifully. Which leads to believe it's not the starter. And I also had the alternator and battery tested. I hope it's not the fuel pump! Did you have any symptoms before your car got stranded?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an '06 US petrol gas model and the same thing happened to me. Flat bedded truck to the dealer and service tech told me when they touched the electrical connector to the fuel pump it started operating again. I wonder if yours was the connector as well?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had this problem with my td6.It turned out to be a sticking injector allowing the fuel in the rail to go straight back to the tank. It drops the pressure in the rail so much that non of the other injectors get any either. I self tested this by conecting lenths of pipe to each injectors leak off pipe. i put the six pipes into six jam jars and cranked the engine for 20 seconds.five of the pipes the fuel only travelled half the lenth of pipe and 1 half filled the jam jar with diesel.This confirmed which injector was faulty. I replaced this myself (factory recon from local parts store) car has been perfect since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts