RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a quick question. My catalytic converter on the right side of my Y-pipe is lousy and loud. I want to put a straight pipe on and cannot find a shop that will do it. A Land Rover tech at the dealership said it might mess up the O2 sensors. I was wondering, does anyone have a straight pipe fitted to their Rover and what has that experience been like? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
All depends on where you are located and local restrictions. In most places it is illegal to modify emmisions components thus the reason any reputable shop will not touch it. As far as running ability it would depend on what year and model your rig is. On some rigs the O2s can be removed with no issue. On newer rigs you will run into all sorts of issues with fueling.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have no cats and no O2 sensors. However, I can't really be much help, as I'm not sure why the things still works. I suspect a previous owner did some bypassing of Something Somewhere.

All I know is they're not there. A bit like waking up and finding your tonsils were removed in your sleep.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Cats were downstream of the O2 sensors in my '93.
It was also registered three months prior to the start of mandatory cats.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was told I couldn't remove them from my April '93 registered Classic.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
on the p38 the 02 sensor downstream of the cat is for checking the efficiency of the cat, nothing to do with fueling. my Rave for the 14cux doesn't even mention downstream o2's.

on the GEMS you can re-set the market or region to an area that only needed 2 sensors instead of 4 and then remove the downstream sensors and still have proper fueling controll.

From rave for the p38:

North American Specification (NAS) vehicles have
additional Heated Oxygen Sensors, positioned
downstream of each catalytic converter. The ECM
uses the signals from these sensors to determine
whether the catalysts are working efficiently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My last RR (november '93) had a tubular stainless exhaust with no cats, my current RR has physically got cats but no material inside them (last owner stopped them rattling on the cheap) and both went straight through the MOT without a word from the tester.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts