Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving the country for about 6 months and was wondering if you gentleman can help me with a few questions. Im going to store it in my garage while I'm away.

My 2010 RRS has about 14K miles on it so should I have it taken in for an oil change before my departure? I bought it at 8.5k miles and havent had an oil change yet. The dealership told me to wait till about 15k to come in. Do I drive it till the fuel is low then storage it? Do I need to disconnet the battery? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Or do I let my girlfriend with no garage drive it for six months? Jk, i dont think that's going to happen. :naughty:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
PM PJPR01. He lives in Houston and I wager will take better care of it than the gf.

I would get an oil change and fill up the fuel tank. Fill the tires to the max pressure, and get a battery tender for it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,515 Posts
Actually there are a few key steps to take...and Googling will help you find the key ones. Fuel stabilizer, pumping up the tires to higher PSI, disconnecting battery, if you're due for an oil change, might as well get it done before you leave. There are also interestingly enough services here in Houston for A/C storage of vehicles...I think it costs about 150-200 a month. If it's a really nice RRS, then sure, I'd volunteer to host it for you, could park it next to the fleet of other vehicles. :) Ha...looks like Goose's mail and mine crossed in cyberland...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
^^^ And he'll bake you some macaroons as a welcome home present.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I leave all of my ATV's, and other 4 stroke vehicles for 6 months every year. As far as I can tell, you need to do nothing. Disconnecting the battery or putting it on a battery minder is about all that is necessary IMO. These fuel injected vehicles start up after 6 months the same as if they were left overnight.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
My experience on other vehicles has been that just disconnecting the battery will leave you with a dead battery after 6 months. It just takes longer than if you leave it connected. You need to have a trickle charger on it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I am personally a huge fan of sea foam. Anything I know is going to sit more than 30 days I add it to a full tank and run it to get it thru fuel system and then shut it down.

I use these tenders quite often when I need to. Have had 4 of then for about 5 years and still work great
http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts