RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in cleaning up my newly acquired 1991 RRC I discovered the subwoofer foams are shot... Ideally I would like a plug and play option that I could drop in and use the original grill, but the only ones I have found are $15 speakers that I wouldn't trust, or speakers over $300 that I can't afford. Kicker makes a 6 3/4" inch sub (I believe original is 6 1/2") that I am thinking of going with:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CWRT672/Kicker-CompRT-43CWRT672.html

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone know the power output of the factory amp and if the Kicker is a good replacement candidate?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I checked the speaker and it is a 4 ohm speaker that appears to be dual coil - does anyone know what the specs on the amplifier are? I really don't want to pull it out and all I can see is the part number RTC7620 which I can't find any information on... starting to think I might try a cheapy speeaker and see what happens...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Curious to see what you found. I've ordered 2 different subs and neither fit in the original enclosure. I have a 95 SWB and the factory sub was a 7" DVC with 4 Ohm per coil.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got mine from John at http://www.gb4x4radios.com/usa/
He's great to work with, and he has a drop in replacement driver that thumps waaaaayyyyyy better than the factory driver, all while using the factory amp. I would HIGHLY recommend taking this route, verses trying to scab one in that isn't a oem fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this project has been stretching out way longer than I wanted - my own fault. I ordered a cheapy audiopipe DVC 4ohm speaker only to discover that my crossover is also fried. I decided the easiest (ha) thing to do at this point would be just to replace the rear amp with one that has a built in crossover... I bought a cheap compact Pioneer Unit (GM-D1004) but now I think I need a single voice coil subwoofer if I want to bridge two of the four channels... oh well.

The thing that I was really hoping I could do is find a bypass harness for the stock amp (which appears to be a pioneer gm-42A) but I cannot find anything which has a matching 11 pin pattern - people have told me it's the same as a VW but I cannot find one that has 11 pins with the pins on the upper row offset from the lower row ... In the end I may just have to cut and splice, but I was hoping not to...

IMG_1578.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts