RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found this question but no real answer save for those regarding custom and borla- I have a 98 P38 with a single outlet- I need to replace the exhaust and want to go to the stock dual outlet- there is already a hangar on the empty left (driver's side) so my thought is that the 99- 02 dual outlet might work from looking at the parts it looks as if the left has two fittings one for the pipe from the center (which is the same on single and dual) and one to the right outlet- if anyone has done this please let me know if it required a trip to the exhaust shop or just the normal bolt up

thanks

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I have upgraded my 2 V8s ('95 and '97) from single to dual exhausts, either with a stock exhaust from a '99 I had lying about or with an SS sportsystem.

First time round was a bit of a puzzle, second one, done just last week, went very smooth.

I needed to add 2 hangers on the LHS, we used bolts mounted in the same place as on the RHS. You also need to cut back the mudflap inside the wheelwell to make room for the hanger (LHS is square whereas RHS has a corner cut out for the hanger).

Biggest problem are the brake lines: on early P38a's they run from each wheel over the axle to the diff and from there upwards. On later models, the brakelines first go to the front of the car.
When switching to dual exhausts, the T-piece between the centre section and both rear mufflers sits above the front of the diff and interferes with the brakeline brackets when the suspension cycles. On the rear of the diff, the panhard rod limits space quite a lot.
I tried to rerout the brake lines under the panhard rod instead of over it, to make sure they could never touch the exhaust, but this puts quite a strain on the lines. So on the second one we tried to route the brake lines between the exhaust and the panhard rod by fabricating some brackets. This seems to work a bit better, but when going offroad I can hear metal touching, so it still needs some tweaking.
I'm seriously thinking about replacing the entire rear brakelines with the newer version (which I have available from my donor car), or have some custom lines made to have a reliable permanent solution.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Rich998a said:
I thought the dual system started in 1996?
Apparently not in Belgium...
Our '96 DT Paige has a single exhaust and so did the '97 4.0 SE Piper.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mine is a 97 model, built in 96 and it's got a dual exhaust...

Maybe only the 4.6 got the twin pipe arrangement?

Sigi

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
munichp38a said:
Mine is a 97 model, built in 96 and it's got a dual exhaust...

Maybe only the 4.6 got the twin pipe arrangement?

Sigi
Possible, IIRC in the US it was also the 4.6 HSE who got the dual exhaust before the others.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
A well tuned single exhaust will out perform a tuned dual system, though I must admit I do like a dual system.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
IIRC, they had to change from one to two to reduce sound levels. I suspect that happened when the p38 entered the NAS market in 96? :think:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Escape said:
I have upgraded my 2 V8s ('95 and '97) from single to dual exhausts, either with a stock exhaust from a '99 I had lying about or with an SS sportsystem.

Biggest problem are the brake lines: on early P38a's they run from each wheel over the axle to the diff and from there upwards. On later models, the brakelines first go to the front of the car.
When switching to dual exhausts, the T-piece between the centre section and both rear mufflers sits above the front of the diff and interferes with the brakeline brackets when the suspension cycles. On the rear of the diff, the panhard rod limits space quite a lot.
I tried to rerout the brake lines under the panhard rod instead of over it, to make sure they could never touch the exhaust, but this puts quite a strain on the lines. So on the second one we tried to route the brake lines between the exhaust and the panhard rod by fabricating some brackets. This seems to work a bit better, but when going offroad I can hear metal touching, so it still needs some tweaking.
I'm seriously thinking about replacing the entire rear brakelines with the newer version (which I have available from my donor car), or have some custom lines made to have a reliable permanent solution.
Thanks this is what I was looking for :clap: I have 2 existing unused hangars on the left side and the brake lines go straight to the front there's nothing that even resembles a line bracket on the diff- so I'm thinking I have a late model 98 that would accept either a single or dual outlet- with the hangars installed on the left did the pipes all mate up correctly on the 99 stock dual you installed?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
peterz said:
Thanks this is what I was looking for :clap: I have 2 existing unused hangars on the left side and the brake lines go straight to the front there's nothing that even resembles a line bracket on the diff- so I'm thinking I have a late model 98 that would accept either a single or dual outlet- with the hangars installed on the left did the pipes all mate up correctly on the 99 stock dual you installed?
Looks like you're in for an easy job, everything exhaust related was a straight bolt on. :wink:
I even think the centre silencer is identical, and only the rear section differs.

Filip

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi

Being a new [monday] p38 2002 4.0 Westminster owner I was surprised to see a single exhaust, I thought they were all twins?

How did they leave the factory?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts