RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 95 RRC from the shop on Friday where I had a bunch of electrical work on the engine done (lots of the wires and such). Initially, I had to have it taken in as it wouldn't start, but even before then, I had issues with it stalling. Of course, it needed a new battery and cables replaced, but I wanted them to look into why it's been stalling when I come to a stop, mostly once the engine is hot. They ran the engine for 2 hours and had no issues. As soon as I picked it up and drove it 3 1/2 miles, I came to a stop light and it started to stall.

I'm able to save it from completely stalling when I come to a stop by keeping pressure applied to the gas pedal while keeping my other foot pressed on the brake.

They mentioned they ran a smoke test on the intake and there is a major leak in the manifold vacuum. Does anyone know if this could be causing the issue? They already adjusted the idle, which I notice, for the better, when it's temperature is not fully heated.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
29 Posts
So it begs the question, if they found a huge vacuum leak, why didn't they repair it?
That's why the engine wants to die. You are getting so much extra air that the engine has no fuel in the mixture = death. Revving opens the injectors and keeps it going. Look for a loose or cracked hose around the intake box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest factor was that it wouldn't stall on the guys at the shop, so I assume they figured it wasn't the leak causing it. I'm going to check for crack and see what I can find. Others have suggested it could be the MAF. Would anyone else agree?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
220 Posts
You can easily locate a vacuum leak by spraying light amounts of starting fluid around the intake. When the engine revs higher, that is where your leak is coming from. It sucks in the fluid at the leak and causes the engine to race.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts