RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this issue for a couple of months now. My '02 Rover overheated. Not a big deal, refilled it and it kept happening. Burped it many times, replaced the thermostat, still kept overheating. It started pushing a little fluid out of the overflow at some point I don't know when, that could be what caused the initial overheat, and I didn't notice till I started monitoring it everyday.. After about 80 miles it loses enough fluid to overheat. I refill it and its fine again for another 80 miles. Replaced the expansion tank cap twice and the expansion tank itself after noticing that it steams after being driven. No boiling just a slow gradual release of pressure. The steaming has gradually decreased till its not noticeable now unless the engines off and you put your ear right next to the cap so that may normal I'm not sure. Blew out the radiator to see if it wasn't getting enough air flow but still keeps pushing fluid. It has to be coming from the radiator bleed hose to the cap and then out the overflow because the level never gets high enough in the tank to boil over. Thermostat stays just on the cool side of the middle of the gauge right until it overheats again then shoots into the red. But like I said thats only after its pushed enough fluid out that it's no longer able to cool down. Anyone have any ideas?????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay here's an addendum: I just ran it at 2k rpms for 15 minutes to see when exactly it was pushing fluid out. I turned the overflow tube around and pointed it up to keep an easier eye on it. It never pushed any fluid??? So I turned the overflow tube around again and sure enough it started dripping fluid at about a rate of a drop per second. Upon further reflection I remembered that when I replaced the expansion tank the tube was pointed up or at least angled upwards as much as possible. I turned the tube up again to see if it would fill up and come out but after another ten minutes of running it never did. Could the fix really be so simple??? and if so is it a design flaw or is it a sign of another problem that's temporarily averted by tilting the tube upwards so the fluid returns to the tank and not onto the ground?? I'll still do a test drive after it cools to see if it drips anything under real conditions.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Redgoatea said:
Thermostat stays just on the cool side of the middle of the gauge right until it overheats again then shoots into the red. But like I said thats only after its pushed enough fluid out that it's no longer able to cool down. Anyone have any ideas?????

that's a sign of a leaky head-gasket... under load, combustion gasses will get into the coolant, cause a bubble at the top, water-flow stops and the temp shoots up, and pops the cap...

get a coolant test kit from NAPA, it will show if there are exhaust gasses in the coolant. If so, then a head-gasket job is due, hope you havnt slipped a liner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shupack said:
hope you havnt slipped a liner.
I have had the slipped liner mentioned in other posts of mine about the original overheating. Wouldn't that cause loss of compressions and starting issues? I'll admit that it's not the quietest truck on the road when it first starts but it starts and runs just fine??

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
nope, I had one that ran beautifully, no overheating even, with JUST slipped liners. had a tapping sound that I thought was a bad cam, turned out to be 2 liners on opposite sides (so the tapping was 1/2 engine speed)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts