RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found the area where the water is dripping on to floor on the passenger side. Still not sure where it is coming in though. I have checked the ac drain and sunroof drain and they look fine. I have changed the covers to the pollen covers and added a little silicone gel to make sure they do not leak. I have attached a picture from where it is leaking. It is coming in from behind this vent box.

I am planning to take off the cover below the windshield. I need to replace the foam filter there anyway and will do this when the part arrives.

Any ideas before I get started?

I appreciate all the help.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
I really am not able to picture the location without a reference. However my first thought would be a leaky pollen filter gasket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just recently purchased a 2002 P38 with just under 87,000 miles. Last night and today we had our first rain since we have owned it. I went out to feel all of the carpets and sure enough the passenger foot well was pretty damp. I soaked some of the fluid up with a paper towel and it was clear, odorless, and not sticky. Based on this assessment I determined it is not the O rings or the heater core, i.e.not coolant. I was unable to check the AC drain lines (haven't been using the AC much anyhow) or the sunroof drains (headliner is not wet at all) so I concluded it might be the pollen filter cover leaking on the passenger side. Sure enough when I removed the filter cover, the pollen filter was significantly damp and using a flashlight, I could see water down in the filter housing. I now have to find out how to seal that off to prevent further leaks. Can you still purchase these pollen filter covers? What did you other enthusiasts use to seal them off? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a tough time tracing down a similar leak for months. It was very frustrating sopping up the water with a towel every time i took the truck to the car wash. Even though the seals on the pollen filter covers looked fine, i stripped the old foam gasket off the covers and installed foam weather stripping that you can buy from the hardware store (3/8" wide). However, rather than try to affix the weather stripping to the covers, i attached it to the vehicle around the openings. Have not had a leak since! :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply Chuck! I will give that a try tomorrow. Actually, we saw your Range a few weeks back on your website (along with your other vehicles). Your truck is partly responsible for my girlfriend deciding on a Range over a Disco. It looks phenominal!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Pollen filter covers are a issue, I used a heat gun to remove the warp in the middle and then some more ie curved slightly more the other way and works well

Vent intake grill area is another cause for concern, did mine yesterday and was full of leaves etc and took a good 4 hours to clean and sort out, I used a fine mesh instead of the foam unit

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took apart the whole front covering under the wipers. Cleaned out all the leaves and resealed everything. I also put in a new foam filter to help keep the leaves out. Will keep my fingers crossed during the next rain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back to the drawing board. All the work sealing everything did not do anything. It was raining today and water is still coming in somehow. Now really not sure where to look next.

Is it easy to take off the A-pillars without breaking any tabs or anything that holds it in place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I stopped by Lowe's and bought some weather stripping like Chuck suggested. Sealed off both covers and the passenger side has been dry since. Fixed my problem for under $5. Did you check the pollen filter covers? Sorry, I don't have any advice for the A-Pillars. Good luck though!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually took the whole pollen filter box apart and used silicone to seal everything back. Just cannot see how water could leak in now. However I also cannot see where else it could be coming from since the leak is coming from around that area inside the car. I really do not want to take the whole dash apart to really get in there, but just cannot figure where else to look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts