RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have steering wheel vibration the wobble is from 70-90mph on certain roads. So far I’ve had 3 garages look at it including Land Rover . It’s had a thorough Inspection underneath everything is clean and tight with Land Rover saying it’s a good clean example.
It’s also had 3 wheel balances and Infared heat check on the calipers. I’m really at a loss what to do now. I’ve got 30 days left before the dealers warranty runs out.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Okay... So what is "it"? How many miles does "it" have? If three garages have said it is tight and clean then bushings must be acceptable. When was the last time "it" was aligned or had tyres checked for proper balance?

R

·
0 Posts
I still have steering wheel vibration the wobble is from 70-90mph on certain roads. So far I’ve had 3 garages look at it including Land Rover . It’s had a thorough Inspection underneath everything is clean and tight with Land Rover saying it’s a good clean example.
It’s also had 3 wheel balances and Infared heat check on the calipers. I’m really at a loss what to do now. I’ve got 30 days left before the dealers warranty runs out.

Have you had any recent brake work done to the vehicle?
I had a similar issue on a Jeep of mine where we couldn't find the cause of a steering wheel wobble after testing suspension bits, rotating/balancing tires etc. Turned out there was corrosion between the rotors and the hub. The old rotors got rusted and left crud on the hub, and it was *just* enough to cause an issue at higher speeds because the new rotors weren't sitting perfectly flat on the hub. Might want to check that if you haven't already.

Also, what the guy above is trying to say is that you should mention what vehicle you have, year/model, and put it in your sig as well so people can easily find the info to better help you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s had the wheels balanced 3 times it’s now a slight shimmy on some roads.
4 wheel alignment is next on the list

R

·
0 Posts
It’s had the wheels balanced 3 times it’s now a slight shimmy on some roads.
4 wheel alignment is next on the list
That didn't answer the question I had, regarding brake work. In my suggestion it's nothing to do with the wheels/tires, but corrosion between the rotor and the hub which you wouldn't see unless you removed the rotors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I know it’s clean. The discs are due to be changed under the warranty as they judder at high speed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay... So what is "it"? How many miles does "it" have? If three garages have said it is tight and clean then bushings must be acceptable. When was the last time "it" was aligned or had tyres checked for proper balance?
2011 RRS SDV6 with 85k on theclock. Sorry I’m on a mobile and it’s not mobile friendly

R

·
0 Posts
As far as I know it’s clean. The discs are due to be changed under the warranty as they judder at high speed
If they're causing you issues at high speed, that would be my first line of business before throwing money at another alignment/wheel balance attempt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll check back once I get them changed
i don’t pay for balances and alignment lol. Perks of mates in the trade

R

·
0 Posts
I’ll check back once I get them changed
i don’t pay for balances and alignment lol. Perks of mates in the trade
Always helps to have friends with access to those kinds of tools!

Good luck, and be sure to update this when you find out what was causing the issue :)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
231 Posts
Interested in knowing If you haven't tried this yet, or if you have already....when the wobble starts at 70-80mph what happens when you gently apply the brake? Gets worse? Or goes away?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Steering wheel shimy at high speeds:
1. Road Force Balance Tires.
2. Inner and outer tie rods ok?
3. Worn steering rack?
4. 4 wheel Alignment.

I had the death wobble at 60 mph+

Inner and outer tie rods replaced. 60% better..
i had all 4 tires road force balanced followed by a high speed balance. 40% better.
no more problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A little follow on. The cars going back to the garage next week as the steering wobble has grown into a vibration through the car 8-0= it’s noticeable n the pedal area and passenger arm rest?
it’s now not a particular nice car to drive over 50 mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Could be the result of uneven tread wear on your tires. how long you had those tires? are you fitted with stock wheels or after market? camber wear? Got a flat recently and drove on it for a bit? Bought used tires?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would try to fine some wheels and tires that have no problems (from someone else/friends rover) And remove your tires/wheels from the equation before I'd continue. You should make sure it's not Your wheels/tires first. My bet is on your upper and lower control arm bushings - they have to much play and this shows up as your speed increases and while braking. Again eliminate your tire/wheel set up first - don't keep balancing these wheels of yours - use a completely different set up that is known not to have any problems.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
Loose lug nuts
Mismatched tires
Rims that are bent or out of balance BEFORE you put tires on
Dented rim...look at both inside and outside of rim, cracks have occurred on the inside
****ty tires or inappropriate tires for the load weighting

So many things to check...we'd need to know what you have really checked and start eliminating possibilities once you've shared all details. Right now, it's a blind person throwing darts...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wheels have been checked. Re balanced 4 different places, 4 wheel alignment, new discs pads and front calipers.
new bushes and bottom arms plus drop links also
i beginning to think Its the front driveshafts as there’s a small amount of play up and down. I can’t find anyone to confirm if this is normal though?
the car goes back to the garage next week if they can’t sort it I’ll be looking at something else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree. I’m told the garage will swap a tested set of wheels before further investigation
cheers

R

·
0 Posts
Rims that are bent or out of balance BEFORE you put tires on
Dented rim...look at both inside and outside of rim, cracks have occurred on the inside
Wouldn't they be able to tell the wheels were messed up even with tires on once they're being balanced, or would that not show up on their machine? I've got the intermittent shakes and I can't figure it out.

I had the exact same issues with my old Yokohamas as I do with the current Nittos, so like the OP I'm about ready to just start throwing money at suspension bits because everything passes the eye test, and my shop can't pinpoint the issue :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts