RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers side window has just started struggling to go up. I am looking for a bit of a heads up before I pull the door apart.
Goes down fine. Going up it started to struggle (absolutely out of the blue) and eventually the winder motor shut down but worked again after a two hour rest. I gave the tracks a good spray with silicone grease which got it back to normal, but this morning it is sticky again.
Could it be the motor getting tired (ie is it worth swapping it out with a spare)?
Is there a common problem with the internal mechanism that I should look at and if so what is it?

cheers

John

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just for info - problem seems to be in the winder gearbox. If you give the gear a wiggle with a screw driver it starts working which sounds like a bearing type problem. I guess I could pull it apart and try and fix it have to grind off/drill out rivets and replace with self tappers - looks like a lot of jerking about for an uncertain outcome so I stumped up for a new part - $120.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the motor (after some confusion about the part - the replacement had the top of the gear about 5mm higher than the original part but it worked after I modified the door with a crowbar) and the window is still slow going up. I figure the previous motor/gearbox was on its last legs and the extra load was enough to tip it over the line. If I take out the motor, the window slides up and down easily by hand. Anyone got any clues as to what might be binding - I could dismantle the door to find out but I'm not that enthusiastic.

The alternative is to keep using it and see if it gets worse or kills the motor.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
99 Posts
I had a similar issue with 2 windows on my 97 Disco, the problem was identical on both, a plastic wheel about the size of a US quarter (maybe a little more than 1 inch) on the regulator was broken in half causing the windows to bind about half way up. A fairly easy fix on the Disco, not sure about a RRC. I'll see if I can find a photo of one to post.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i normally replace the motor and regulator at the same time... as okierover said time also is valuable. In most cases if you are in there and its messed up, replace both. Hard to know if your track is out of wack... that would be the only other thing involved but you said glass slides freely. Rover uses a combo of metal and plastic on the regulators, and they just do not stand up to the test of time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas - I'll have a look and get back with an update

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just fitted a new regulator - probably not genuine. It now works worse than it did before. Latest plan is to keep using it and see if the motor breaks. Does anyone know if the spring in the regulator can be pretensioned to assist lifting?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was not aware there was a spring in the regulator? Where did you get it from? I have done a lot of these, and sometimes the brand new ones are just shotty at best. If you got it from an online source, they will most likely send you another one. Had to warranty 2 of them to a company off ebay that I used for my girlfriends BMW. And that was not a fun install. I am sure you are getting them from different places than us over here in the states. Is the motor tired? If US shipping is not too bad, there is a used parts company called "roverlandparts.com" and i usually pick up motors from them for about $50US genuine parts, and usually work fine.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The spring is in the guts of the mechanism - it gets tensioned as the window goes down and gives it a boost going up. Its got a new motor in it and it doesn't seem to be jamming in the tracks as it pushes up smoothly by hand. if the motor dies again, I might try the roverland part.

But you are right - there are some poor quality aftermarket parts around.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just had another crack at the window as it died totally - I greased the slider at the bottom, dumped a heap of graphite in the window tracks and swapped the motor for a name brand model out of my wrecker. Seems to be working better but I'm not convinced it's fixed. I was going to swap the whole guts of the door out of the wrecker but I ran out of steam. I'll see how long this fix lasts for.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine died totally again - I'll pull it apart on the weekend - I'm hoping it's the wiring plug.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The controller died - I swapped the one out of my wrecker, BTW the grease and graphite has the window working like a beauty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you take the door panel off and get to all the moving parts with a white lithium grease or graphite, they should all work as new.
Al of mine were almost stuck and after a good thorough lubrication, working as they should.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts