RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My L322 Range Rover has developed some very strange steering behavior over the past few days. I have some long drives ahead of me and hardly any time to get this checked out, so I'm trying to figure out as much as I can myself. Would appreciate some ideas!

First, the symptoms: the steering behaves oddly in that it seems to "stick" to a steering wheel location once the wheel has been stationary in that location for a little while. Then it takes quite some pushing (not like real manhandling effort, but much more than expected) to move the wheel. Once I overcome the resistance I feel in the wheel, it kind of jumps over the "threshold", which can make things rather jerky on occasion. The effect is a bit similar to tramlining. However, sometimes the wheel will stick to the new position right away, so moving it back (or further in the same direction) will again require more pressure than it should - hard to explain, but while I thought initially that tramlining was all it was, I'm now quite convinced that this is not the end of the story.

Initially, I started noticing this behavior when I was going upwards of a certain speed, around 45-50 mph. But things have gotten worse from there and now I can feel the same thing happening frequently at lower speeds, say between 20 and 40 mph. Everything still seems normal when going even slower than that, and in general terms the power steering works "just fine", meaning that I can turn the wheel quite freely when at very low speed or even standing, without any general feel of stiffness or similar.

I have read a number of threads on this board and elsewhere to figure out relevant factors and I've checked and done a few things:

* Checked tyre pressure - also increased it a bit since it was low, but to no effect. I'm using 36 in front and 42 in the back, as shown in the manual

* Checked power steering fluid - it was just below minimum and I topped it up, but again, no effect.

* Checked that the wheels are on properly! That one just crossed my mind recently... but no problem in that department.

While I was checking the wheels, I noticed one thing - there are bushes (one each side) on the end of a curved arm, just visible at the back end of the front wheels, which appear badly worn to my layman's eye. (Sorry I don't know what that arm is called - I tried finding it in the workshop manual, but curiously couldn't find a single diagram where I could recognize it!) I took some pictures of the right-hand-side bush, and I'll try to attach those in a moment. I'm wondering whether it's possible that these bushes are the problem here - no idea whether they would move while steering, possibly causing the issues I'm having.

Please let me know if you have any hints or ideas. Very much appreciated!

Oli

DSC_0070.jpg DSC_0069.jpg DSC_0068.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an old thread, I know. But I seem to be developing these exact symptoms with my '07. Having lots of trouble googling/searching around for information and this is the closest description I've come across.

Has anyone else experienced this and determined the cause?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Yes, I found out what the problem was - the front diff was giving up. Ended up having it changed and that fixed the problem.

Oli

·
Registered
2010 L322 3.6TDV8 Vogue
1 Posts
Oli,
Seems I have also developed the same symptoms! I have a 2010 L322. No one around here has a scooby doo about the cause and when I mention the front diff they look more confused. Please could you tell me how you/garage arrived at that conclusion and perhaps which garage you went to? I'm happy to travel, especially if it means not getting more messed around with people who just don't really know these cars that well. Also, can you remember ball park cost- dare I ask?! I would be very much appreciative of any info.
Thanks,
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts