1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this 2014 rrs in about to pick up
I’ve noticed the buttons everywhere are sticky looking
Is this a know problem on these cars?
Trying to figure out what’s going on here before I fly down to take a look at the car

·
Registered
P525
216 Posts
This is peeling of from „Soft-Rubber“ coating. Was very common 20 years ago by Audi and gave a soft feel for the fingers, but wasn’t able to stay.

For the RR and RRS they discontinued this for MY14.5 or 15 onwards, as it peels of and looks horrible.

Just try to get the buttons replaced or don’t buy the car, as you cant repair it.

For me, even if it is a quality issue, this example of an overly bad scratched and peeled condition from the buttons are a no-go and maybe a good reason to stay away...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this isn’t good news. Buttons are probably expensive as hell
And I can’t imagine being able to replace just a button. Probably the whole electrical unit

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
630 Posts
I had something similar in an older MB. I used a gentle degreaser to remove the soft coating. I don't know if that might work for you. The only thing is that you will want to do that for all of the buttons or they will look slightly different.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I also had something similar on a 2003 BMW X5. Nothing odd about the car... I had owned it since new, it was never in extreme heat and I never used harsh chemicals of any kind on these parts... but the soft touch buttons started getting sticky and peeling at about 12 years of age. I replaced a few buttons that were the worst just before I sold it.

My suggestion is to steer clear. The cost to replace all those switch packs (which would be required), would be cost prohibitive, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have RR Vogue SE SC LWB 2015. Spoke to the agent and it's a common problem. Yes, they are well aware. They can replace under warranty if the car is less than 3 years old. Unfortunately mine is exactly 1 year over. They can remove the waxy layer off all the buttons by laser polish for $5,000. Not what I expected for a $120,000 car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Use some Mothers R3 Racing rubber remover. Put some on the buttons and massage it for a bit and they'll come off with your finger nails. I've cleaned up that rubber coating on all my buttons and the plastic underneath touches great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all.
This situation is the same in my MY2014.
I've found some items to replace all buttons.
Some buttons have the unique code and seems perfect.
Others switch have a code like CPMA or EPLA or GPLA and the same number. But it seems equal each other.
I think maybe some switch panels have different "characters" maybe for different date of production.... Maybe different materials....
So without rubber surface finish...
Maybe I can upgrade with different part number.
What do you think?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
463 Posts
motherbuffer, I left the car at the dealer for a fuel pump replacement, and when I got it back the Menu & Cruise Control buttons were all sticky - some mech probably touched them with fuel-soaked hands or something.

I tried wiping them with a soft degreaser, and then with water, but they are still sticky.

Any other methods/cleaning agents you can recommend? I don't want to replace them, as I will selling the vehicle soonish.

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did the same as Redbadge but just used a cleaner degreaser I got at bed bath and beyond. Did a few at a time. Sprayed on a rag and rubbed buttons until coating softened up and used my fingernail to scrape it off. Then used toothbrush to get coating out between the buttons. Feel absolutely perfect now and all the white lettering looks new. Once I did a few, ended up doing every button in the car, console, steering wheel controls, climate control etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
lockmanmd, the white lettering is deeper than the rubber coating?
So if you remove the rubber coating, you still have white imprint? (and I assume a black plastic base??)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Besides using fingernails to scrape this off, can we use anything else? Like a plastic ruler or something?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yesterday the Mrs took the car to the shops and afterwards reported that the Start/Stop button is very sticky

Can I use this method on the Start/Stop button?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts