RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE 2011
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I have a RRS L320 automatic. For a month or so it has behaved as if it had a sticky caliper and indeed the front NS wheel was running hot when the sticky feeling was on.I could release it by tapping lightly on the brake pedal with my left foot but it would come back on as soon as I had used the brakes.

Finally got a break in the weather to change the caliper-straightforward job no probs.Checked the old caliper and sure enough the pots were seized or at least too tight for me to move.

Took the car out and it still has the same feeling as if a caliper is sticking.I tried knocking it into neutral on a hill and it held there-didnt roll at all as if brakes were on.Front NS wheel slightly warm ? What on earth could this be?
Is it possibly a brake hose or is there something in the transmission that slows it down or holds it steady?
Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
918 Posts
Could be a brake hose. Sometimes they collapse on the inside. This usually allows the brake to be applied but the pressure is not released.

·
Registered
2018 L405
118 Posts
Don't know if this is an old mechanics tale, but I've always been taught to replace calipers in pairs.
Something about newer caliper working better than the old caliper, and the possibility of pulling to one side when braking because of caliper differences. when one caliper goes bad, there's a very good chance the other ones are not far behind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys-I`ve ordered a flexi hose.Will start there and see what happens.Cheers

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would do new hoses to both sides. If one is gone the other is not far behind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update on this-picked up new flexi hoses-on the way back sure enough brakes stuck on.I hooked my foot under the brake pedal and pulled up just on the off chance-lo and behold the brakes came off.
Did it again afew miles later so i repeated the foot under pedal thing and the brakes released again.
Took off the brake switch and cleaned it up-re fitted and three days later it hasn`t done ot since.

Just to be certain i`ve bought a new switch and will fit it tomorrow but this seems to have been the problem unbelievably.

Has anyone heard of this being a problem before?

·
Registered
2018 L405
118 Posts
Sounds like a sticking master cylinder then?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly I suppose - although I`ve fitted the new switch and it`s driving fine again - no sticky brakes ......so.....
Hopefully that`s been the problem.

·
Registered
2018 L405
118 Posts
Good to see the switch may have fixed the issue... though, I can't understand why or how. It's a switch that tells the brake lights to come on and tells the cruise control to cancel. I'm sure it does other things, but can't think of the brakes activating because of the switch... even with ABS.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sounds like something in the switch was binding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could be rigt Arby - its been nearly a week now and no sticky brakes so def the switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts