RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Anyone out there with a GEMS 4.0 that has had the "sticking exhaust valve problem?" I guess it's supposed to be a rather common fault on these engines as they age. Apparently the valves in this engine weren't cut to properly break carbon build up on the guides/stems.

The vehicle starts, idles, and runs fine but throws a check engine light under heavy accelleration indicating misfire on #8 cylinder and excessive emissions. I've changed the plugs and wires with no change. I'm presently awaiting the return of my injectors from refurbishment, but don't have a lot of hope that this will solve things.

I'm facing around $2K in repairs to get the heads rebuilt with new and proper valves. :( Anyone solved this with a less costly alternative?

Side note: I had to do a little window shopping for a new vehicle to try and bolster my dedication to my Rangie, and it worked. Both wifey and I agree, nothing compares to a Range Rover.. when it's working. :wink:

Best to all. Thanks.

RT

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
743 Posts
guys on the discoweb tend to swear by a product called "seafoam". apparently you pour it into your crankcase and its supposed to clean out the valve train...

ive also heard it creates a hell of a smokey exhaust while your cleaning out your engine...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hmmmmmm

I heard this problem was more in discos because they run a manifold like the classics where as the rangies run a far better manifold, almost as good as a tube header.
The classic style header does not let engine breath as well the rangie ones and thats why discos seem to have this problem,well so I heard as I am running a 4.6 in my classic and was told this may be a problem I may end up with due to using my classic headers.[/i]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts