RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic thinks my #4 cylinder has a sticking exhaust valve---1995 4.0 89,000 miles---it has a rough idle---runs fine check engine light is on and blinks when accelerating---code is p 1314 i think---misfire on one side--newer plugs and new ignition wires.

So I will try a motor flush and oil additive to help these valves----

Any idea,s on which motor flush and oil additive would be best---I need an oil change any way---

·
Registered
701 Posts
What kind of newer plugs and wires do you have? These vehicles are very particular about what you use. As for an oil additive, you don't want to shock your engine so I would use a lighter additive. I use MMO (Marvel's Mystery Oil) on my cars and love the stuff. I use it in the gas and oil and it keeps things tip top. Seafoam also works great, but too much can hurt your engine. I really only use seafoam for induction cleaning.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Seafoam direct induction into your intake manifold will help, some. The earlier models (your year) had exhaust valves without a carbon break cut on their stem. Not unusual for these engines to develop sticky valves. I had this problem and tried the seafoam treatment with short-lived success. The only real cure was to upgrade to the newer carbon break cut valves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The # 4 cylinder plug was bad----replaced champion like others----now down to just 1314 and 1316 general misfire---the wires came from Rover,s north--Proline I think---last night I started in garage---and looked for sparks---none. Is their any way to definitively diagnose This problem?

·
Registered
442 Posts
G'day mate , i use flashlube fuel additive also comes with a valve saver lubicator kit which self lubes your intake :thumb:
http://www.flashlube.com/en/valvesaverfluid/index.html

Use NGK or Denso plugs much better and last longer.
Do a compression test :think:
Use only premium fuel and thicker grade engine oil.
Redo the top end with upgraded valves and graphite compisite gaskets and 3.9 head bolts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts