RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone encounted a stuck throttle when trying to pass someone on the highway? I have a 1996 4.0 with 115000 miles and when pushing the pedal to the floor the throttle has gotten stuck, the dealer has lubed and ajusted the throtle assembly but it has not helped... Wife wont drive the truck until I fix it . Any sugestions? It does seem to be the assembly when I pull over to un stick it the throttle is what is stuck, I cant get it to stick by hand . Only when i try to pass someone and really step on the pedal to the floor...Scarey situation..and a 4.0 doesnt get up and go with out pushing the pedal to the floor.
Thanks for any advice

Gregg

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would suggest maybe check your Motor Mounts, because what happens is when you torque the engine up it lifts up on the left side and pull on the throttle cable until it reaches a certain speed and lets the engine drop back down. The way to test your engine mounts is to pop your hood, put your foot on the brake, put it in drive and push on the throttle, and it you have a broken engine mount the engine will lift up on the left side noticeably and to check the other engine mount, put the truck in reverse and do the same and it will lift up on the right side. Another thing I've done in the past is to disconnect the throttle cable, shoot some WD-40 down inside of it and work the cable back and forth and hook the end of the cable to the inside of your hood somewhere and let it hang for a while to let the WD work its way down into the cable housing. Good Luck, Big-T :geek:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
big-t said:
Another thing I've done in the past is to disconnect the throttle cable, shoot some WD-40 down inside of it and work the cable back and forth and hook the end of the cable to the inside of your hood somewhere and let it hang for a while to let the WD work its way down into the cable housing. Good Luck, Big-T :geek:

I did this also...it worked well for about 1.5 years, and now I need to do it again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry,the thing I forgot to mention is after you find that the cable was indeed the problem, you have to use a heavier oil like motor oil or even dripless sewing machine oil, something that stick's around for a while and don't be afraid to repeat the procedure a month or so down the road. What you want to eventualy do is clean all the fine dirt particals out of your cable housing then it should work like new for a long time. As I've said before, WD is penetrating oil, not lubricant, it should only be used to free up stubborn parts and screws . Big-T. :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so if the Hurricane/tropical storm stays east of us his weekend I will give the lube the cable and check the motor mounts thing a shot, I really feel its the Throttle though, when it has stuck, and I have freed it on the side of the road it required some pulling force to release it. The cable seemed limp at that moment and not Taught.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you're finding that the cable is limp when the throttle body is stuck then that tells me that the cable IS stuck inside the housing, because if your throttle body was the thing that is sticking then your cable would be taught, as it would be trying to pull the throttle body back to the idle position. If it's as bad as you say it is, I would, #1- take the throttle cable right out of the truck and try moving it back and forth to make sure that it is indeed your problem, and if it is, then hang it from a rafter in the garage and shoot some WD through it until it started dripping out the bottom and then work that cable back and forth untill it was completely free, or, #2- crack open the wallet and buy a new throttle cable. Don't forget to use a heavier oil after you've cleaned out the housing with WD. All the best, Big-T :geek: :thumb:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stillderanged said:
Ok so if the Hurricane/tropical storm stays east of us his weekend I will give the lube the cable and check the motor mounts thing a shot, I really feel its the Throttle though, when it has stuck, and I have freed it on the side of the road it required some pulling force to release it. The cable seemed limp at that moment and not Taught.
If you need to pull hard to release it I don't think it will be the cable. Could well be the butterfly is stuck wide open. I would clean the area around it, mine had a buildup of what looked like tar on the body of the housing and it was hard to remove even with solvents. Also the throtle position sensor was full of the same gunk and that is on the same shaft as the throtle springs.

SID

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to add to the story, I have had it to the dealer, trying to satisfy the wife 4 weeks ago, they claimed the cable was fine and that the throttle assembly required cleaning and ajustment every 60,000 miles, so I paid them to do the servcie, It stuck on me 4 times on the way home, how ever for the first time I was able to stomp hard again and it came back, that never was the case before. I haven't had it stick since, it's been only 3 weeks, I have passed plenty of people on my comute to work, and press gently to the floor, no stomping... I will try this weekend to give it a few stomps to see if its been cured.I will report my findings back this weekend.The Hurricane appears to be staying out in the atlantic this weekednd...

What gets me, I like to fix things when they are broke, this sticky throttle thing doesnt give me a definative broken thing yet to replace or repair.

Thanks again to all of you for giving me a place to bounce these things off of...If it was a chevy or a ford i could just talk to my neighbors...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts