RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow,
Saw some photos of a 2011 Range Rover and was happy to see some more improvements. But one that stuck out was the shifter had been replaced with a device much like the terrain selector on the 07 to 2010. I also noticed that the terrain knob has been removed.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I saw a few photos as well, eliminating the "stick shifter" after 40 years is not going to please everyone, I'm sure... Personally I think the new design looks pretty clean and distinctive actually - probably going to make the cabin "feel" somewhat airier and might also make it easier to reach the control dials on the lower part of the center console... - the shifter knob must pop up with the key in the ignition and retract when parked, like it does in the new Jags. I may miss the option/habit of throwing a traditional shifter in Sport or "manumatic" mode when looking for a quick pickup, but if the paddles behind the steering wheels are good, I'd only miss it for a while. It's one more gizmo that might break eventually, though. 8~ I also like the rocker switch for the Terrain Response settings, it seems a better match for the rest of the TR ad EAS controls right next to it than the current rotary dial.

Isn't a new 8-speed ZF tranny being introduced as well (along with a sweet new V8 diesel engine, but surely we won't get it in the US, again.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
If the paddles work as good as they do in a Mercedes that would be good meanwhile I like the setup in my 10 better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Paddle shifters would be nice but removing the stick entirely is a mistake in my opinion. :snooty: Like I want something as important as the gear selector to become a potential source of problems in a freaking Range Rover where everything breaks. :roll: The newest trucks are evolving to the point where they will be virtually impossible to own 5 years on. Too bad because I like my Rovers 4 to 5 years old and 75% off. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Found another image here.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It should be fun twisting the little knob while rocking the Rover to get it unstuck. Sorry but the Rover is being pussified with cute LEDs and now a Jaguar twist shifter. Yeah I know, " you don't drive it off road" but the Rover's image is being changed from a very competent luxury 4X4 into an Escalade competitor. What's next, a 2 wheel driver version where the suspension can be locked in high for 26s?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Welcome to the world of Jaguar Land Rover and technology sharing, its off the Jaguar XF.

I agree, it won't be to everyones taste.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I do not like the Jag shifter in the Range Rover one bit. I believe this is a huge mistake, and they should keep the regular shifter as a no cost option. Just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went on a day to appraise the new shape, when it came to the interior one of the comments I made was not liking the deletion of the gearstick - guess i'm a bit old fasioned but i've always preferred a proper gearstick and the action of throwing it accross for sport!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Two descriptions come to mind when I think of Range Rover interiors. Architectural design and character. This new Jag dial and the deletion of the tactile feeling rotary knob for the Terrain Response System takes away from both. Sure it's cleaner looking and more modern but I'd rather have the shifter and my TRS knob back.

I wish LR kept the wood trim on the strip above the door pockets too. Instead they now have a plastic strip which makes it cheaper looking though the noble finish to the lower speaker surround is an improvement. And the glove boxes have a lighter plastic feeling to them as well not too mention that the doors open and close like any other car on the market. I like the feel of my doors. They shut like a vault door and there's an unmistakible feeling of quality to the feel and sound of them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's already bad enough with the 2010 instrument panel and the discontinuation of the regular analog guages. The technology is pretty cool but just looks cartoonish and out of place from the rest of the interior. Otherwise, i love the 2010 RR's.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Video of 2011 TDV8 exterior and interior, including pop-up shifter and steering wheel paddles for new 8-speed transmission (wonder if the latter is new across the board or only for the new TDV8 engine shown in the promo video):

[youtube:1z9xftbj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8ZP6iEkjA[/youtube:1z9xftbj]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice video! Thanks!
I like the remote controller for rear seat passengers. You can't beat the Autobiography package with all it's gadgets and luxury. Wish my Rover had reclining/heated/cooled rear seats :(

Still not a fan of the rotary shifter dial. Guess we'll never see a RR with a shifter or rotary knob for TRS from here on out. Shame.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That shifter is not appropriate for an SUV of this caliber but all in all, I like that the exterior design mods are subtle.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
979 Posts
I would have preferred they used that knurrled design on all of the rotary switchgear - it wouldn't bother me if they lost those rubberized selectors. I do think it looks slightly out of place by not matching the other components - which still do match the old TR selector.

With regard to the Terrain Response switchgear changes - if you're in Rock Crawl and need to get back to Normal is it 4 presses to get there? The previous design allowed for a big counter-clockwise spin without looking to get you back to Normal. And why are the Terrain Response icons above the switch off-center? It's just funny how they really put that TR selector in the entire LR range and really branded it as a round knob to then just go with this. It's like they just pulled it out of the XJ and dropped it in here and then realized too many round selectors - someone will think they're shifting into Park and really be putting it in Sand mode or vice versa.

I did some reading on how the Jaguars operate, but I can't wait to try it for myself.

Land Rover is currenly referring to it as the Rotary Electronic Transmission Selector - Jaguar calls it JaguarDrive Selector - not sure if we'll get a fancy name too.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
It is possible the TR switch could work in either direction-- one additional push to the right from rock crawl, puts it in std, and one left push from std. puts it in rock crawl.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am hearing that only 20 inch rims will be available for the D with the big Barubus brakes. Which means this will limited off road use since off road tires are lacking in the 20 inch rims category and you can't go to 19's because of the brakes. I read that it only gets 8 mpg (that's got to be a typo). There isn't a lot of info out on these yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts