RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone plese shed some light on this for me? I am a confused about the HK stereo sound systems. After trying to search the forums and Rave I am not getting anything conclusive.
I have a 97hse, with a clarion head unit (which will be arriving repaired tomorrow from Roverville). Both of my subs have been blown out for a while now, so I thought I would replace or upgrade it. I was under the impression now that my year was supposed to have the older unit with single sub inside rather than the dual speaker version that is there? Not really a big deal, as long as it was working. What I am really stuck on is, what or how to upgrade to somthing else other than those crappy paper cone speakers that were there. Since my speakers were blown, I am unable to use an ohmmeter find out if they were 4 or 8 ohms. I would really like to just be able to drop in some higher quality 6.5" JL's and be done with it but I get the feeling that there is more to it than that. What is the recomennded wattage speaker? I dont really want to add an extra amp, but I also dont know what the existing preamp sitting attached to the outside of box will be able to supply. I am thinking it is a standard 300 watt sound system, but how does that translate to what the sub gets? :doh:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
They're 4 ohm. Put in anything decent that fits. I'm running some Fosgates, with a little 100w alpine amp and they sound great for my old ex-basshead ears.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! That helps alot.

Kmag, how did you hook up your amp and are you still able to adjust it via the head unit?

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Against my better judgement I just re-used the factory wires, including the power wire. :shock:

Yes, it's still adjustable via the factory headunit. For the signal wires I just spliced the factory signal into a couple rca plugs and hooked er' up.
When I eventually run some 8 gauge power wire, I'll run all 4 channels bridged... but for now I'm just running the two out of fear of melting the existing power wire. It's loud enough for me anyway... my hearing is already bad enough. Stupid DJ Majic Mike.

·
Registered
401 Posts
8 gauge? even my grandma runs 4 gauge... quality over quantity, i guess. :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I'm running a 100w amp man... no need for 4 gauge. I have 0/0 in the garage if I really wanted to run something. Actually, 10 ga would be fine for that little guy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
old basshead myself :wink:

Lost 30% of my hearing but it was worth it. Good times.... 8)

·
Registered
401 Posts
kmagnuss said:
I'm running a 100w amp man...
Not the tool its how you use it... `8)
Still a bass head, its all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts