Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just a thought — Do you have the ionizing air cleaner feature? Try disabling that and see if it does anything?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any progress on this issue? My 2014 with the same system started doing the exact same thing. It even does it with the head unit turned off.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm still having the issue, private messaged you about it. Going to bring it up with the dealership again next time I take it in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wow, just saw this in a recent thread about the latest software update (19A3). Looks like Land Rover is aware of the problem. Glad to know it's not just me! Anyone else here having this issue on newer (MY18+) vehicles? Someone mentioned they just started having this problem on their 2014 truck, but I never had this problem on my 2016.

"AUDIO
A customer may complain of popping noises on all sources of audio, this update will not fix it. The issue is currently under investigation and should be fixed in the next full
software release."

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I pulled it from the last comment on the thread "update on the over-the-air software roll out." As of now, it's a few rows underneath this thread. Only references the date from what I can see: 2019-06-17.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is this popping a rhythmic noise or random? If the problem continues with the head unit off, is the amp turning off? You might try connecting an electrolytic capacitor across the power leads of the amp. A capacitor will appear as a short to the ac signals causing the popping, but will appear as an open to the dc the amp is supposed to get. These problems occasionally show up in aftermarket stereo installations, and a capacitor typically knocks them out. Is this vehicle under warranty? Ray

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's a random noise, not rhythmic. Only happens when audio is playing through the head unit, not when it is turned off. Yes, all under warranty so I just have to take it back to the dealer at this point. Thanks for the suggestions! Really curious about the software update JLR announced that describes exactly what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Sport HSE, same issue, static crackling sound from all speakers, don't seem to have this issue in the winter, just when the temp climbs above 80-85 F.
Audio used to shut down completely, but now it just disconnects all bluetooth connections and looks like it restarts, so if im talking to someone its pretty annoying if the bluetooth keeps disconnecting, connecting over and over. I changed the settings on spotify thinking it might be the spotify issue, but that didn’t help. Not sure if it’s an issue pairing with iphone X and up. Wish someone could upload a video on how to resolve this issue
Until now, i’ve read that it could be,
- Spotify
- A pillar pinching the cable
- Wet amp
- fuse issue

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
144 Posts
I have a 2014 Sport HSE, same issue, static crackling sound from all speakers, don't seem to have this issue in the winter, just when the temp climbs above 80-85 F.
Audio used to shut down completely, but now it just disconnects all bluetooth connections and looks like it restarts, so if im talking to someone its pretty annoying if the bluetooth keeps disconnecting, connecting over and over. I changed the settings on spotify thinking it might be the spotify issue, but that didn’t help. Not sure if it’s an issue pairing with iphone X and up. Wish someone could upload a video on how to resolve this issue
Until now, i’ve read that it could be,
  • Spotify
  • A pillar pinching the cable
  • Wet amp
  • fuse issue
This is 100% what mine is doing. I still have no answer. I notice the Sat radio also restarts on mine as well.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
144 Posts
This is 100% what mine is doing. I still have no answer. I notice the Sat radio also restarts on mine as well.
So I am cautiously optimistic that I resolved my issue. I bought the MOST optic link bypass loop from Amazon for like $10. I bypassed the Sirius sat radio module and I have not had any static or reboots over the last two days. I will keep the module bypassed for the next week to confirm if it is the issue then I will probably replace the unit. I assume those people with a DAB module instead should bypass it and see if it helps since they serve roughly the same function. Hope this helps other.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, just saw this in a recent thread about the latest software update (19A3). Looks like Land Rover is aware of the problem. Glad to know it's not just me! Anyone else here having this issue on newer (MY18+) vehicles? Someone mentioned they just started having this problem on their 2014 truck, but I never had this problem on my 2016.

"AUDIO
A customer may complain of popping noises on all sources of audio, this update will not fix it. The issue is currently under investigation and should be fixed in the next full
software release."
I have 2014 Sport, purchased new with all the bells and whistles. Love it. My wife has the 2019 Velar, with the crackling that has been referenced on this and other forums. Been back to the dealer four times, new software, no success. She is ready to change brands and I am not planning to replace my Sport with a newer version. Not good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi Rob. So I think my dealership finally made some progress on my audio issue. I mentioned in another thread that I was looking forward to 19B and once it was installed over-the-air, it did NOT fix my issue. So I brought it into the dealership and they acknowledged the issue and put their lead service foreman on it who specializes in audio/infotainment. Long story short, after a few failed attempts of trying to fix it himself, he got in touch directly with the Land Rover engineering team who had to remote-in and install some workaround software updates and updates to some modules.

After over two weeks of being at the dealership, I would say the problem is 95% fixed! I've been driving the truck for a few days now, and I can't hear the noise while listening to my normal stations. I think I can faintly hear it during very mellow/soft songs, but it's barely noticeable.

The service tech said Land Rover is still aware of the problem and is working to address a permanent solution in 19C. I think this whole situation is unacceptable for a vehicle at this price point, but I will say my service tech took it very seriously and didn't want to release the truck back to me until he was confident he had made some progress. He even followed-up by email yesterday to see how everything was going so he could report back to the engineering team at Land Rover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Rob. So I think my dealership finally made some progress on my audio issue. I mentioned in another thread that I was looking forward to 19B and once it was installed over-the-air, it did NOT fix my issue. So I brought it into the dealership and they acknowledged the issue and put their lead service foreman on it who specializes in audio/infotainment. Long story short, after a few failed attempts of trying to fix it himself, he got in touch directly with the Land Rover engineering team who had to remote-in and install some workaround software updates and updates to some modules.

After over two weeks of being at the dealership, I would say the problem is 95% fixed! I've been driving the truck for a few days now, and I can't hear the noise while listening to my normal stations. I think I can faintly hear it during very mellow/soft songs, but it's barely noticeable.

The service tech said Land Rover is still aware of the problem and is working to address a permanent solution in 19C. I think this whole situation is unacceptable for a vehicle at this price point, but I will say my service tech took it very seriously and didn't want to release the truck back to me until he was confident he had made some progress. He even followed-up by email yesterday to see how everything was going so he could report back to the engineering team at Land Rover.
Hey,

I Appreciate the detailed reply, that’s basically where I’m at. I’ve been Told to expect 19c towards end of November.

I’ve raised a formal complaint with Land Rover and I’m awaiting a call back from a resolutions executive manager.

I’m sick of being pushed back with waiting for software updates.

I owned a velar since March 2019 and every month was told the new software would fix the issue. It didn’t. I rejected that vehicle and got the sport last month.

Crackling from day 2 of ownership on the sport and told to wait for 19b. 19b came and the release notes mentioned it fixed the audio issues but it hasn’t and now I’m being told to wait another month for 19c

It’s a complete joke and not acceptable. I’ve given them 7days for a response on why I should not reject this sport and leave the brand completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there any progress to anybody's problem. I had a 2016 RR with the 825W and it was the legit best sounding system I've ever experienced in car. I upgraded and HAD to have the 825w in the new l405 I just purchased. It sounds like the speakers are busted! Popping and crackling it seems out of my tweeters. However, I shifted the positioning of the sound from the settings thinking the pop was coming out of my rear left speakers..however, it is coming out of all my speakers. Dealership did a software update but that didn't do ****.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine hasn’t done the popping/crackling noise for over a year but it started again this morning (very cold here this morning, might have some correlation). Does it on all sources and even with the head unit powered off. Anyone else get it figured out?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts