RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone on here might be able to provide some guidance or insight. I've searched the other threads about this, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. I've got a brand-new 2019 RRS, and pretty much since day one I have noticed a slight pop or crackle coming from the speakers. It's sporadic, but happens about every 30-60 seconds. It does not seem to depend on the type of song (heavy bass/classical music), it happens on all audio sources (FM radio, satellite radio, bluetooth, carplay), and it does not seem isolated to one speaker. I tried sending all the sound to individual speakers or a quadrant of the cabin, and the noise could still be heard.

First time I took it to the dealership they said there was a service bulletin about it and the fix was to do a software upgrade to the amplifier or some kind of module. Didn't work. Next time I took it in I sat with the service tech in the vehicle (of course the pops only happened like once or twice when he was in the car), but he said he could hear it as well and would look deeper into the problem. He ended up changing out the amplifier and said he couldn't hear anything after that. Of course, as soon as I get a mile or two from the dealership I start hearing the pops and crackles again. So changing out the amplifier didn't work either.

Starting to think about next steps and I want to offer some possible solutions to the tech, so hoping someone on here has some guidance or insight. It sure sounds like a hardware problem to me...loose wire or connection from the factory? For as much as these vehicles cost, I'd like to enjoy crystal clear sound without annoying pops and crackles!

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
the only thing you didn't share was the type of audio system you have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oof...my bad! It's the 825W Meridian system.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
My 2016 RRS did this when I first bought it (last year), but it just stopped. I could never get it to do it at the dealer. Mine seemed to do it on colder morning then it would go away when the car warmed up. I presumed it was a cold solder issue somewhere in the system. Mine would do it even with the system turned off. Very strange. Dealer obviously never found anything wrong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight ScottTX! I hate when you have a problem but then can't replicate it at the dealer! So frustrating. I did take delivery of the truck in mid-January and it's been cold outside ever since, but the truck is kept in a climate-controlled garage the vast majority of the time, and the pops still happen. I'll see if it's still happening as the weather warms up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had an annoying stereo noise feedback issue on my 2015 SVR that drove me and the dealer crazy. Eventually they determined the unwanted noise was occurring when the drivers window was open and Conversation Assist was activated. It may be a long shot but try turning it off if it is on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Canuckrover. The Conversation Assist feature is limited to the Signature sound system, right? I've got the 825W system, and have never seen a button for that feature. The pops happened again this morning (really every time I drive the vehicle). Driving me crazy!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks Canuckrover. The Conversation Assist feature is limited to the Signature sound system, right? I've got the 825W system, and have never seen a button for that feature. The pops happened again this morning (really every time I drive the vehicle). Driving me crazy!
Yes I believe you are correct the Conversation Assist is not part of your system - sorry for the false hope!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do you notice it on all sources?
If so, you’re right it’s probably a hardware problem?
Can you isolate the sound to specific areas/speakers?
I would get a recording of it ASAP so you have it for your records.
I had same issue in Fpace, but software update did fix it.
Personally, if they can’t fix it, I would try to ask them to buy it back or something. That would drive me NUCKEN FUTS! I’m sorry you’re having this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
You could try driving with your phone turned completely off. Might seem silly, but I recall another person on another thread had similar issues from their sound system, and could not resolve it after many trips to their dealer. Eventually he/she reported, rather embarrassed, that their particular model of phone was causing the interference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you notice it on all sources?
If so, you’re right it’s probably a hardware problem?
Can you isolate the sound to specific areas/speakers?
I would get a recording of it ASAP so you have it for your records.
I had same issue in Fpace, but software update did fix it.
Personally, if they can’t fix it, I would try to ask them to buy it back or something. That would drive me NUCKEN FUTS! I’m sorry you’re having this issue.

I hear it on all sources. I tried to isolate the sound, and it does not seem to be coming from just one speaker. Good advice on recording it, seeing as how it barely seems to act up when I take it in for service!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could try driving with your phone turned completely off. Might seem silly, but I recall another person on another thread had similar issues from their sound system, and could not resolve it after many trips to their dealer. Eventually he/she reported, rather embarrassed, that their particular model of phone was causing the interference.
That is not a bad idea. My phone is ALWAYS in the truck with me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hmmmm. I never thought about it but I did have an iPhone 7 when bought my RSS and then then I upgraded to an XR. Can't say that is the reason the noises stopped but you could be on to something.

BTW, my issue was in all speakers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow, now that I’m paying attention, there’s definitely crackles in my audio through apple car play.
I’ve been mainly listening to pod casts so I don’t notice it.

I didn’t notice it before.

I’m gonna get an update to 19a on Wednesday. I’ll report back if this fixes it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, now that I’m paying attention, there’s definitely crackles in my audio through apple car play.
I’ve been mainly listening to pod casts so I don’t notice it.

I didn’t notice it before.

I’m gonna get an update to 19a on Wednesday. I’ll report back if this fixes it?

They actually installed 19A last time I took it to the dealer. It had just come out so I didn't even ask for it; wanted to make sure there were no crazy glitches first! The update seems fine, but it didn't fix my audio issues unfortunately.

Also, I completely turned off every wireless device in my truck thinking there could be some kind of interference. Turned off iphone, turned off ipads, unplugged USB charger. And I can still hear the pops and crackles! The saga continues... :|

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
A couple of random shots in the dark based on posts from other threads: (1) this post - https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43-range-rover-sport-ii-l494/332176-2016-audio-upgrade-quotes.html#post2253724 - details issues with Spotify causing distortion in the car's speakers. Changing a couple of settings in Spotify fixed it; (2) a couple of folks on the L405 forum - https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/24-range-rover-mark-iv-l405/331550-sound-cuts-out-static-noise-through-speakers.html - have had random audio crackles & pops, and it turned out their amps had water damage (they sit under the front passenger seat in that car) and needed to be replaced.

if neither of those helps, it sounds like bad electrical connection/harness (assuming speakers have been tested to be OK) which is tough to track down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestions dwboston. I don't use Spotify, and it's happening on all sources (radio, satellite, bluetooth, etc). The truck is brand-new and I've already had the amp replaced once. Going to do more digging and see if I can narrow it down to something specific, and going to try and record it for the dealer too. But it sounds like I'm running out of options and that these types of problems are hard to nail down!

·
Registered
298 Posts
A couple of random shots in the dark based on posts from other threads: (1) this post - https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43-range-rover-sport-ii-l494/332176-2016-audio-upgrade-quotes.html#post2253724 - details issues with Spotify causing distortion in the car's speakers. Changing a couple of settings in Spotify fixed it; (2) a couple of folks on the L405 forum - https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/24-range-rover-mark-iv-l405/331550-sound-cuts-out-static-noise-through-speakers.html - have had random audio crackles & pops, and it turned out their amps had water damage (they sit under the front passenger seat in that car) and needed to be replaced.

if neither of those helps, it sounds like bad electrical connection/harness (assuming speakers have been tested to be OK) which is tough to track down.
Thank you for the Spotify link. I’m going to try that today!

Aaron, I noticed it again this morning while I was driving through town. But then when I got on the highway, it went away. Might be just a coincidence? Or something has warmed up?
Did you find this or does it always make the pops?

·
Registered
298 Posts
They actually installed 19A last time I took it to the dealer. It had just come out so I didn't even ask for it; wanted to make sure there were no crazy glitches first! The update seems fine, but it didn't fix my audio issues unfortunately.

Also, I completely turned off every wireless device in my truck thinking there could be some kind of interference. Turned off iphone, turned off ipads, unplugged USB charger. And I can still hear the pops and crackles! The saga continues... :|
That’s a total bummer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the Spotify link. I’m going to try that today!

Aaron, I noticed it again this morning while I was driving through town. But then when I got on the highway, it went away. Might be just a coincidence? Or something has warmed up?
Did you find this or does it always make the pops?

Drove around a bit on the highway yesterday. I didn't notice much of a difference. The truck definitely had time to warm up because I drove around for awhile and it was 75 degrees here yesterday.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts