Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 1998 2.5 Diesel P38 with the upgraded Harman Kardon stereo with 6 CD unit in the back.

Sometimes just after starting the engine the sound from the stereo seems to go quiet for about 5 or 10 seconds then there is a sort of "bang" or "popping" sound and it is back to normal.

I am wondering if this would be the stereo itself at fault or an amplifier or something else?

If it is something else I know there is an amp in the box in the back - is that the only one or are there other units in the vehicle?

Thanks in advance as always.

Justyn

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If this is the "Premium " sound system....You can tell, if you have a selection on the head for DSP
The DSP amp is fully capable of failing in this way. Mine would come and go randomly and scare the pants off me if I was just driving along, and suddenly "POP", and I have music! The good news there is it only did this for a couple of weeks before failing permanently.......
The amp is located behind the sub woofer and up in the rear fender. You could certainly check all the connections in the left and right footwells, behind the kick panels, then the giant plug on the amp itself. Of course, if anyone has been at the wiring behind the head unit, like to install a phone, there is a good chance there is a bad connection lurking there.
There are any number of threads about this one so search is a good resource here.
You are also lucky that you are in the UK and have Marty over there, as he has spent some time trying to figure out a way around the DSP amp......
Good Luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

The head unit does not have a button labelled DSP. I think the head unit is the PRC 7618 model. I do have a box in the boot with two woofer speakers and the 6 CD changer underneath.

I am guessing this means I have the DSP amp?

It hasn't happened recently funny enough - it seems some faults on this car come and go for reasons unknown to us mortals???

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The DSP function is not a separate button, it is accessed, if you have it, by pressing the button with the musical note on it........Id you do have a DSP unit, the amp is found by removing the changer and sub woofer then pull the insulation away and look inside the rear fender, the DSP amp hides in there.
You have intermittent operation? Check the connectors.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a musical note button. The unit is definitely the PRC7618 model - that's what it says on the stereo handbook.

Also I don't have intermittent operation - I have an intermittent fault and the fault has not occurred for about 2 weeks now but I would like to investigate as these things usually come back and get worse.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ahh, I stand corrected........An intermittent fault it is then........
Also, that is a Clarion head unit, so the very good news is you do not have a dead
Harmon Kardon DSP amp.
I believe the unit you have may have individual amps in the doors, so if all is going at once, have a look behind the centre console for loose plugs, or chafed wires. If someone has been there to install a phone for example, the wiring may be compromised.

Edit:
Also good news, these folks can repair or exchange it for a good one if it is the head unit
http://home.valornet.com/splacket/Roverville_UK.htm

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the exact same issue with mine. The sound would go off and then return with a loud pop intermittently.

The problem will be a bad solder joint on one of the components under the heat sink in the radio. I took mine apart and found the bad joint and re soldered it. Someone else documented the repair on a different forum but I can't seem to find the thread any more, I'll keep searching and let you know.

I took some photos when I did the repair. The resistor is under the heat sink which you can see in the bottom left of the picture. I've circled it in red in the next one. It's quite an easy repair.
IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts