Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my first ime on a foum.

I wonder if anyone can clarify an issue i have!!!!!!!!

On sunday driving on the motorway, i was at a steady speed of 55mph on cruise control!!!!!!!!!!!!
then every 14-16 seconds mt steerig wheel would wobble slowly then faster then slowly again.
I counted to around 14-16 seconds an it done it again. when travelling at higher o lower speeds it does'nt do it, only in the 50-55mph range!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been advised to change trailing arm bushes, can anyone cnfirm this is correct prognosis??????????

Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Do a search on Death wobble and you should see plenty of comments. Start of with your steering Dampener (easy to check and cheap to replace), Ball Joints, Track Rod, Drag Link and Steering stabilizer. I take it you did an alignment check? Generally check everything under there for play as the Air Springs will amplify any slight movement.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Also check the other normal things... Tyre pressure (amazing what difference this actually makes!) and see if there's any play in the prop shaft UJ's... these are known for wearing if they haven't been greased at services and can cause vibration problems at various speeds.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I get a very similar symptom but only when there is a eg a channel, gutter or crack or groove of some sort running at right angles or thereabouts across the road. There is a particular stretch of 3 lane highway I'm often on that has a channel or gutter or something in the road periodically running across the width of the road and whenever I go over it the steering really breaks up in an alarming way. Doesn't in my other cars which glide over it. Otherwise it purrs like a baby up the highway and tyre pressures regularly checked etc. Would that be a similar diagnosis? Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check the ball joints , the tire balance/tire pressure. Last thing to check should be the steering damper.
If anything other is worn, it will lessen the appearance of the symptoms but will wear out prematurely.
So, check on the usual suspects first.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
650 Posts
$20 your panhard rod bushes are shot. Ask me how i know!

·
Registered
550 Posts
What size wheels you have on it. After replacing most of the parts the thread talks of; I went from 19" to 18" rims and it made a night and day difference. If you are using non standard (even from a new RR) rims make sure you have hub-centric rings too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What size wheels you have on it. After replacing most of the parts the thread talks of; I went from 19" to 18" rims and it made a night and day difference. If you are using non standard (even from a new RR) rims make sure you have hub-centric rings too.
Yes, I didn't even think about the wheel size, yet...good call

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks very much for all the advise,
all tires n pressures are ok, so next step as they are not to exspensive will be bushes i think, for the trailing arm and panhard as ive changed the ant roll bar bushes and the wobble still there!!!

thanks once again

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Amazing how that wobble carries all the way over to your keyboard causing multiple eclamation points and question marks. :roll:

Are your 19" rims properly fitted with hubcentric rings and lug nuts matching the rims?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts