RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Vogue with 96,000 miles and a severe steering wobble when braking. I and a load of skilled technicians who have test driven and inspected the car cannot identify the cause. Has any body got any ideas please?

The steering wobble only occurs during braking. It is felt through the steering wheel and the wheel can be seen visibly shaking at times. There is no vibration through the brake pedal. There is no variation to the wobble when cornering. The wobble is more pronounced under light to moderate braking rather than just heavy braking.

I have owned the car for five years and the wobble first became noticeable about a year ago and is getting worse. The car has recently been fully serviced, all brake pads and discs have been renewed, all six ball joints on the front suspension have been changed. The front tyres are new and have been balanced.

The wobble is still there but what else is their that I can change?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
67 Posts
Check out the upper control arm bushings. These failed on mine causing vibration during high speed braking. It was relatively easy to replace the entire arm. Also be sure to do an alignment following the change.

Good Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave,

If the arm you are referring to has what we call a ball joint at each end and there are two arms on each side, I have already changed them as that is what seemed to be the more obvious cause. Unfortunately the wobble is still there. I am now thinking it must be something to do with the hub.
Regards
Andrew

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
you could have bent rims, you could have sticking calipers, the top strut mounts could be worn,
have the inner tie rods been checked?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Andrew,

The Upper Control Arm (sometimes referred to as a Thrust Arm in BMW forums) does not have a ball joint itself but is connected to a ball joint at the front knuckle. The Lower Control Arm, does have a ball joint, and most likely is the one you had replaced. Depending on the condition, the upper control arm bushing will only put things out of alignment during high loads (braking), but its a fairly common failure for our Rovers and BMW X5s . Take a look at the two parts on A.B.'s website and it should be more clear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts