RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

yesterday i noticed that my steering wheel won't lock after i pull the key out, also i got a "ignition key in" message even with the key out. I fixed the message by spraying a bit of silicone spray into the barrel, but the steering wheel still won't lock. I don't really need it to lock, but i am a bit nervous that if something has broken inside(As far as i know most of this locks have 2 theets that lock the steering wheel into position, which can brake), it can lock while i am driving - is this possible, or i can drive it like this?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,707 Posts
If the keyway does not release all the way out the steering wheel will not lock. Silicon just gums things up. Use some brake cleaner or intake cleaner to get the dust, pocket fuzz and such out of the ignition. let it dry a few minutes then use graphite. moving the key to and from accessory position will free things up and distribute the graphite.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The give away was the display, saying ignition key in, the other give away is normally you can’t lock with the remote,, as RRTH says, give it a clean out and lubricants. As for the lock coming on when driving, that won’t happen as the turning of the key recedes the lock on the ignition barrel, once you’ve got it clean you shouldn’t have any problems with locking it either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts