RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have searched and still have not seen what resolves this issue. My RR steering wheel vibrates between 55 and 70 mph above 70 mph she goes away. I have tried different tires, rims and balancing. I recently had the road force balance and still no luck. So before I go and spend $800 on new suspension components I.e lower, upper, and ball joints and tie rod ends I'm hoping someone has narrowed down this issue already.

Please help....anyone ;)
 

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 Range Rover HSE & 2020.5 L663 Defender 110 P400HSE
Joined
·
982 Posts
I think I'm having the same issue but i guess I would describe it more like a shake in the steering wheel...I've done the road force balancing along with an alignment but that didn't cure the problem...my next step is to take it to the dealer to have them check the suspension so hopefully it's something that's covered under warranty. :think:
 

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes mine is a shake as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
My new 09 wheel shook also. Turns out 2 of the tires were a little out of round and replaced. The force balance is very important also. Even after all of that, there is still a small vibration at highway speed that they all seem to have. My G Mercedes had it a lot worse.
 

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
texige said:
My new 09 wheel shook also. Turns out 2 of the tires were a little out of round and replaced. The force balance is very important also. Even after all of that, there is still a small vibration at highway speed that they all seem to have. My G Mercedes had it a lot worse.
Yes, it's not extreme is just slight but annoying enough that I'd like to fix it.
 

·
Registered
2007 HSE
Joined
·
388 Posts
Yep, I've got it too. Starts about 50-55 and smooths out again around 70. More a shake of the steering wheel, but no pull either way. I was thinking they are out of balance. I have the 20" wheels with the Continentals mounted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
My friend used to work in a RR dealership and he used to replace loads of front driveshafts to fix wheel vibration issues.
 

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Locky said:
My friend used to work in a RR dealership and he used to replace loads of front driveshafts to fix wheel vibration issues.
Interesting, mine is more of a steering wheel shake vs. a vibration I should have been more specific. I had the road force balance done and noticed some improvement. My next test will be to move the wheels around and see if I can improve it further. My dealer is going to take the car for a few days next week and do some testing. Trying other rims, etc. he said he will keep it for a few days to see if they can pin point a problem. Good Luck :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my 2003. My independent shop recommended replacing the control arm bushings. He said there is an aftermarket manufacturer which makes a much more heavy duty part. He showed me the 2 together and there is a HUGE difference in the heft and design of the new part compared to the old. Fixed all the shimmy I had and made the steering and front end feel much more accurate.

Forgot to mention they were expensive, and require a large press to get them off. I think around $600 for the parts alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
While researching, did you eliminate the servotronic valve? I believe it's mentioned a few places in regard to steering wheel "shaking".
 

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RR Family said:
I had the exact same problem on my 2003. My independent shop recommended replacing the control arm bushings. He said there is an aftermarket manufacturer which makes a much more heavy duty part. He showed me the 2 together and there is a HUGE difference in the heft and design of the new part compared to the old. Fixed all the shimmy I had and made the steering and front end feel much more accurate.

Forgot to mention they were expensive, and require a large press to get them off. I think around $600 for the parts alone.
Ok you had me at hello...I had a funny hunch that is what it is. Do you remember the manf. of the bushings? Did you do the lower and upper bushings?
 

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
03rangiemark said:
While researching, did you eliminate the servotronic valve? I believe it's mentioned a few places in regard to steering wheel "shaking".
yes that part has been eliminated from the possible causes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
My 09 since new has had steering wheel vibration between 55 and 70. 2 of the Contis were out of spec and replaced plus the wheels were road force balanced and the vibration was better but still there. The Rover came with 20s. Last week I replaced the Contis with new Michelin Diamaris and for once, all vibration is gone.
 

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to update everyone if you were interested. The lower, upper and ball joints have all been replaced. Yes!!! problem solved no more vibration, shake or anything else. Drives nice and tight now feels like new and I'm happy once again. Next is the valve cover gaskets :( here we go again....
 

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 Range Rover HSE & 2020.5 L663 Defender 110 P400HSE
Joined
·
982 Posts
localbrew said:
Just wanted to update everyone if you were interested. The lower, upper and ball joints have all been replaced. Yes!!! problem solved no more vibration, shake or anything else. Drives nice and tight now feels like new and I'm happy once again. Next is the valve cover gaskets :( here we go again....
Do you have the part numbers for the parts you replaced and the price plus the labor?
 

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do, I'll post them tonight. Labor was done by myself and my buddy, dealer wanted $600 for what we did in a couple of hours. Could have taken less time if we weren't yappin about stuff. Job is pretty easy, you just need the torque wrenches and the ball joint remover tool. Without a lift I'd say it would be pretty tough to torque to the required specs, doable but tough.
 

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry forgot I'll try to find my receipt for the parts this evening, no promises though :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I had the same problem with a 2003 rover. Europartsdirect.com has the the control arm for 99 and the matching ball joint for 30 . Do both sides. This is the lower, upper control arm called the upper control arm. Not to be confused with the true lower control arm that has integrated ball joint and is more forward with attached height sensor. The control arm that causes most problems is the lower arm that is more rearward referred to as the upper control arm. I replaced these and the pesky problem is resolved. Independent shop installed the two control arms and the two matching ball joints for 130 dollars in two hours. (Blacks Tire, Westminster SC) They also have installed left front air strut for me for 59 dollars.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top