RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone ever find a solution to the Steering Wheel Vibration that happens between 50-60 mph?

It is a very small steering wheel shake, but I know it is there and would like it gone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got mine back from the shop, after many other tried attempts (road force balancing, suspension adjustments, different tire/wheel combinations, more road force balancing), they finally changed the steering gear/rack per the TSB Umbertob posted here and driving it home tonight it was smooth as silk, really feels like a completely new ride after having the dreaded 50-70mph steering wheel shimmy. I just hope it lasts but all is good again in our house and I have quit cursing the Brits...

·
Registered
93 Posts
So is the steering rack going to continually get bad after a certain period, or is there a new design to prevent this problem?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SaddleTramp said:
Just got mine back from the shop, after many other tried attempts (road force balancing, suspension adjustments, different tire/wheel combinations, more road force balancing), they finally changed the steering gear/rack per the TSB Umbertob posted here and driving it home tonight it was smooth as silk, really feels like a completely new ride after having the dreaded 50-70mph steering wheel shimmy. I just hope it lasts but all is good again in our house and I have quit cursing the Brits...
I assume yours was changed under warranty... Do you know what the cost would have been?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, mine was changed under warranty. I haven't gotten the paperwork yet but I can forward along the labor numbers/hours documented once I get it. The SA didn't want to close the work order until after we both drove it and I left before the paperwork was completed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! If anyone else has different experiences, please share!!!

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts
Don't even get me started................................. EVERYTHING in my fronted, has been replaced except for the front sub-frame bushings..... Been waiting for 5 weeks for them!!!! UGGGHHHH

I'm waiting till spring to buy the 2010 RR Autobiography...i figure give them 6+ months to get the bugs out of the new software and rover gremlins.... But I am thinking about also keeping my 08 RRSSC as well..... yes I know crazy... 3 cars , single guy... ohwell... only toys I have really..

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
RoverfreakNH said:
But I am thinking about also keeping my 08 RRSSC as well..... yes I know crazy... 3 cars , single guy... ohwell... only toys I have really..
You're just doing your part to help the economy! Injecting money now, and ensuring you'll remain part of the (taxpaying) workforce well past 65. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Lemon Law? I'd get rid of that thing and get one that works. Sometimes you got to decide whether your going to appease the dealer or fight.

·
Banned
890 Posts
ChipN said:
The Lemon Law? I'd get rid of that thing and get one that works. Sometimes you got to decide whether your going to appease the dealer or fight.

LRNA and my local dealer all understand that this is their very last atempt to fight my vibration issue. I told them if it does not fix the issue(s) , with these new frame bushings, that they better not call me, and they better find me a brand new 10 RRSSC Alaska white, black leather, loaded with everything but the rear entertainment systems, and call me when it's ready to pick up. I'm not taking any excuses, and my lawyer also sent them all certified letters as well. All parties have agreed on the last game plan.....

·
Banned
890 Posts
JeffW said:
Roverfreak, it's on the lot here in Seattle patiently waiting for you:

http://www.jaguarseattle.com/inventoryDisplay.aspx?s=new_detail&year=2010&make=Land Rover&model=Range Rover Sport&inv=439&vin=SALSH2E48AA219785&total=42&pos=39&current=1&size=50

Can't be sure about all the options, but at least it doesn't have RSE.

LOL... I'll make sure my dealer knows about it!! Thanks!

I called them 10 minutes ago, asking them to get it in tomorrow to have the snows put back on it, cause we are expecting snow wednesday night to friday!!! and God knows those Conti-slicks are F'NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN useless in anything but dry weather.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
RoverfreakNH said:
those Conti-slicks are F'NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN useless in anything but dry weather.
Well that's news to me. I didn't know they were good for that, either. :lol:

My wheel still wobbles slightly, but whatever. They like to use the "you have aftermarket tires" excuse to disavow any further responsibility.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
See...I'm beginning to think that having a S/C has its drawbacks, aren't most of the guys having vibrations with their steering rack driving S/C versions? Maybe it's that extra power that's causing all the vibration...or maybe your hands are shaking from the adrenalin rush and that causes the wheel wobble??

:D :D

·
Banned
890 Posts
PJPR01 said:
See...I'm beginning to think that having a S/C has its drawbacks, aren't most of the guys having vibrations with their steering rack driving S/C versions? Maybe it's that extra power that's causing all the vibration...or maybe your hands are shaking from the adrenalin rush and that causes the wheel wobble??

:D :D

I friend of mine is thinking it's the type of material they used in the " stormer " rims, he doesn't think it's strong enough , he said that Porsch went from BBS to another company and had all sorts of problems with vibrations, then went back to BBS to make the rims for the Cayenne, and vibrations went away.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I complained a lot about the vibrations (have an HSE with 19" Nokians) that they pulled another set of wheels of a new RRS with COnti's and the vibration went away. COmes down to my issue with the tires even after it was road forced balanced at 2 shops.

·
Registered
93 Posts
These last 4 posts are very discouraging as I was planning an S/C with stormers and zeons for the summer and nokians for the winter.

·
Banned
890 Posts
JeffW said:
These last 4 posts are very discouraging as I was planning an S/C with stormers and zeons for the summer and nokians for the winter.

I love Nokian tyres, I have never had a problem with them. As for the stormers, My dealer said they mounted them on a set of 2010 rims, and drove the truck and the vibration is gone!

Then they took a set of 2010 rims and Mich tires and took it for a ride and vibration is gone.

Then they put my 3 week old Stormers back on , with 3 week old Conti tires back on my truck and vibration is back...

So, I told them " sounds like a factory defect to me!"

They placed a call to LRNA and Now I'm waiting for their response... I have a LOVELY tonka toy LR2 for a loaner though :thumb:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying the 2010 stormers solved the problem? Or is it the non-Conti tires that solved the problem?

·
Banned
890 Posts
JeffW said:
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying the 2010 stormers solved the problem? Or is it the non-Conti tires that solved the problem?
Sorry, my bad, no they put 20" diamond rims on my truck with my 1 season old Nokain WR g2, with 8500 miles on them and got NO vibration.

Then put 20" diamond cut 2-tone rims with Mich summer tires from a 2010 RRSSC that came off a the truck this morning, NO vibration

Put my 4 brand new 2008 Stormers back on, with my 4 Conti sports that now have 2800 miles on , vibration is back....

go figure......

1 - 20 of 52 Posts