RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
umbertob said:
Just FYI, Dynamic Response System, AKA Active Stabilization System, is a "refinement" of the original Active Cornering Enhancement system patented by Land Rover and available as an option on older Disco IIs up to 2004... I guess your dealer is old fashioned and still refers to Dynamic Response as its earlier incarnation (ACE) in its paperwork... Basically, he replaced and configured the Dynamic Response module. We have enough acronyms in this car, we don't need another one. There's no ACE in the RRS (other than us guys sitting behind the wheel, of course.) :wink:
LOL...If only I had a fighter pilot helmet and Oxygen mask!

Agreed, no new acronyms, it's confusing enough. I'm guessing the dealer's computers are old-fashioned since I typed word for word what was on invoice.

I had another post about this prior to going to the dealer, when I got the warning light, but didn't get a chance to update the results since I went out of town in June...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
... And don't get me started with the "renew" part! In my industry, when a part breaks we REPLACE it. In the automotive industry, somehow they "renew" it. What the... :lol: It' not a Sports Illustrated subscription for Heaven's sake.

·
Banned
890 Posts
So, here is an update on my vibration on my 08 RRSSC .

They removed my 4 tires and rims, took tires and rims off a 09 ( 20" stormers) , vibration still in the frontend. They called Land Rover techline, and opened a case on my VIN. This should be interesting to see what they come up with. In the mean time, the GM gave me his 08 RR HSE to use , I forgot how much bigger the RR is over the RRS.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Do you notice if the vibration gets stronger once you step on the brakes?

If so...then the likely source of vibration would be slightly warped rotors...that can happen fairly easily if you drive thru deep water or the rotors get suddenly cold (snow) while hot...you could be just 2-4 points out of spec and that can cause the vibration.

Worthwhile for them to check and measure the rotors...

·
Banned
890 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Do you notice if the vibration gets stronger once you step on the brakes?

If so...then the likely source of vibration would be slightly warped rotors...that can happen fairly easily if you drive thru deep water or the rotors get suddenly cold (snow) while hot...you could be just 2-4 points out of spec and that can cause the vibration.

Worthwhile for them to check and measure the rotors...

No, rotors are perfect, the sterring wheel vibrates all the time if you are driving it casually, but if you throw it into a entrance ramp, exit ramp, sharp turn, it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. The dealer called me tonight, and said that LRNA wants the lower control arms replaced, all the bushings replaced, and the dynamic valve block replaced. The shop foreman said that he was told , they have reports of this problem on a handfull of 08 RRSSC's . They said they'll have all the parts in the morning and will get the truck back to me for the weekend to try out...... We'll seeeeeee i guess.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Well, I got the beast back, no change, still vibrating. I asked again about rotors, hubs, front axle balancing, disabling the active suspension, etc. They said they are all perfectly fine and tried everything , and have placed another call to LRNA. I have also called LRNA and also put a complaint in.

The brakes on the truck are perfect the shop foreman said “do you even use the brakes? the front pads are at 90%, I don't think I've ever had a RRSSC with 18K on it with more than 50% pad life left on the front . All rotors are perfectly round, and in almost perfect condition, ball joints, tie rods, lower control arms, sway bar bushings, upper control arm bushings all replaced, all software in all ECUs have been updated, and re-torqued all suspension front and rear components, then 4-wheel aliened, all 4 tires road forced balanced again, rims are perfectly round.

Service repair order is 9 pages long with all the parts and labor rates all charged to warrantee.

Can't wait to hear what LR NA wants to try next...... :evil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
As i have the identical issue on my 2008 RRS SC , I am curious if the vibration problem is now solved. Please let us know. THanks.

BE

·
Banned
890 Posts
2008RRS said:
As i have the identical issue on my 2008 RRS SC , I am curious if the vibration problem is now solved. Please let us know. THanks.

BE

It is NOT solved, now the regional rep wants to replace the front axles...... 1 more tip and I'm really going to look into the NH lemon law

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just had the same problem on a brand new 09 RR HSE with factory 20s. After the first road force balance did not solve the problem, they tried again and upon looking closer, 2 of the Continental Tires were out of round. Problem solved.

·
Banned
890 Posts
OK, so front axles were replaced today, 4 rims, 4 tires, still got the vibration. They called me to not even go there to pick it up. you can feel the vibration is from 20mph to 90+. This is getting rediculous...... :evil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the update. I dropped mine off at the dealership yesterday, they called today and told that my tires were flat spotted and that they replaced all 4 tires, and that the vibration is gone. I'll pick it up later this week and observe for my self. We'll see..... :roll:

·
Banned
890 Posts
2008RRS said:
Thanks for the update. I dropped mine off at the dealership yesterday, they called today and told that my tires were flat spotted and that they replaced all 4 tires, and that the vibration is gone. I'll pick it up later this week and observe for my self. We'll see..... :roll:

I told them I refuse to pay for anything, I've been complaining about steering wheel vibration since I picked it up 6/19/09 with 1.2 miles on it, and it's all documented as well.

The GM is fighting for me, he gave me his 09 RR HSE to drive in the meantime..

·
Registered
219 Posts
This may be way off...

What about motor mounts or any type of alignment problem with motor and transmission?

What about any joint issues in the transfer cases?

OK I’ll shut up now and watch this movie from afar….

·
Banned
890 Posts
Mark_CT said:
This may be way off...

What about motor mounts or any type of alignment problem with motor and transmission?

What about any joint issues in the transfer cases?

OK I’ll shut up now and watch this movie from afar….

Mark,

Thanks for the ideas..

I know they just did a 4-wheel alignment , 2 weeks ago, as far as the other things, if it really is that bad.. They GM already said , if it's got to do with the powertrain, or anything else major, he said he was going to make them talk to LRNA and see if they'd buy it back, tell them I'll deal with it till the 2010s come out, and then they can give me retail, NOT wholesale value for my vibrating rig. or, start filling out paperwork for NH Lemonlaw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked mine up today from the dealership. They replaced all 4 tires, road forced balanced, and did an alignment all under warranty. The vibration at 60-70mph is still there. The dealership now says 1) they don't notice any vibration, 2) it is normal 3) "the tires are very sensitive to road conditions". :roll: I am very disappointed, we like this vehicle a lot, but this is an annoying problem, that remains unresloved. :(

Bruce

·
Banned
890 Posts
My dealer took tires and rims off a brand new RRSSC and put them on mine, still vibrated, then they took 19" off another truck and it vibrated still. It isn't tires or rims, there is something else going on. F'n service managers are lazy pricks , and don't want to do the leg work to get the issues escalated . I had to have words with my Service Manager, before he told the lead shop foreman to open a " critical problem ticket" with the "tech desk" . Problem with me, is that other 2 dealerships are over an hour away from my house, my local dealer is 15 minutes. Atleast the GM heard me lets just say speaking in firm very vocal firm tones, to the service manager, and thats when he got involved. I had a 5 hour drive yesterday, it's really begining to piss me off.

I got the vibration from 30-80+ MPH, I took the factory service rep for a drive, had him with me up too 110 MPH and he has no idea what is wrong with my truck.

So far replaced ( all under warr) :
1.) 4 Conti-tires and 20" stormer rims
2.) Both lower control arms and bushings
3.) Upper bushings
4.) Front dynamic sway bar and bushings
5.) Dynamic electronic valve block
6.) Steering gear
7.) Outer and inner tie rods
8.) Both front Axles
9.) Both front hubs and bearings
10.) Both front rotors and pads

Can't wait to drive to NYC on Monday, and back.... it's going to be soooo much fun.... I'm thinking about taking the Audi S5 so I don't have to be annoyed all day being vibrated.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts