RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some inputs on how I should proceed regarding a maintenance issue with my 06 RRSSC and the dealer. The issue I'm continuing to have is that the RR is that starting at 45 mph my steering wheel starts to shimmy. It continues on and gets to be especially bad around 55 mph. I've addressed this issue with the dealership in Cary, NC several times and continue to receive the same answer. They keep telling me that my tires must be flat spotted and that is the cause. So two weeks ago I had new tires put on the RR. I chose the Hankook Ventus ST and had the road balanced and the alignment done. Still the steering wheel shimmies. I talked to the service manager at the dealer this afternoon and told him that I'd be bringing the RR up once again because the shimmy is still there. I filled him in on the new tires and the first question was what tires I had put on and who did it. I told him and he in turn told me that Hankook was not an approved tire by Land Rover only the Michelin or the Contis. He did tell me that they have had good luck with the Toyo's as well but since the Hankook were a lot harder Land Rover didn't approve of them. He told me to bring the RR back up and they'd "take a look at it again." Quite honestly I'm getting sick of being told its flat spots and the run around on this issue. Cary is an hour drive and the next closest dealer is in Charlotte almost two hours away. So I'm between a rock and a hard place. What would be a good course of action for me to follow? I still have 1K of basic warranty left and then the extended warranty as well. I don't know if I should go straight to LRUSA with this or what. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, Good luck

they will never admit and nor try to fix it..

you should ask them to other wheels on and have testdrive.... so they can't blame on tire or wheels

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
madherm said:
I'm looking for some inputs on how I should proceed regarding a maintenance issue with my 06 RRSSC and the dealer. The issue I'm continuing to have is that the RR is that starting at 45 mph my steering wheel starts to shimmy. It continues on and gets to be especially bad around 55 mph. I've addressed this issue with the dealership in Cary, NC several times and continue to receive the same answer. They keep telling me that my tires must be flat spotted and that is the cause. So two weeks ago I had new tires put on the RR. I chose the Hankook Ventus ST and had the road balanced and the alignment done. Still the steering wheel shimmies. I talked to the service manager at the dealer this afternoon and told him that I'd be bringing the RR up once again because the shimmy is still there. I filled him in on the new tires and the first question was what tires I had put on and who did it. I told him and he in turn told me that Hankook was not an approved tire by Land Rover only the Michelin or the Contis. He did tell me that they have had good luck with the Toyo's as well but since the Hankook were a lot harder Land Rover didn't approve of them. He told me to bring the RR back up and they'd "take a look at it again." Quite honestly I'm getting sick of being told its flat spots and the run around on this issue. Cary is an hour drive and the next closest dealer is in Charlotte almost two hours away. So I'm between a rock and a hard place. What would be a good course of action for me to follow? I still have 1K of basic warranty left and then the extended warranty as well. I don't know if I should go straight to LRUSA with this or what. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same issue with my RR HSE at just about the same speeds, in fact it's going in tomorrow for the Road Force balance act. He will also inspect ball joints, tie rods, and bushings. I'll let you you know what the outcome is though. I also tried changing the tires, I have even changed changing the rims it's still doing it. Its very annoying, so I'll be sure to let you know what he comes back to me with.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am having this problem as ON and OFF whenever I drive above 50 m/h

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ok so dealer pushed me out til next week, my SA and I are friends so I usually ask him how his workload is. So I'll take it in next week Monday, he did say that lower control arm bushings maybe a possible suspect. Interestingly I noticed that I usually feel it more later in the day after it's been sitting outside all day. Less in the morning so far I've noticed. What about you guys?

·
Registered
160 Posts
localbrew said:
Ok so dealer pushed me out til next week, my SA and I are friends so I usually ask him how his workload is. So I'll take it in next week Monday, he did say that lower control arm bushings maybe a possible suspect. Interestingly I noticed that I usually feel it more later in the day after it's been sitting outside all day. Less in the morning so far I've noticed. What about you guys?
As I am having it intermittently , I am trying to relate it also to some circumstances ,I have noticed it to lessen when I drive the car for along period of time :?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,468 Posts
shrek said:
localbrew said:
As I am having it intermittently , I am trying to relate it also to some circumstances ,I have noticed it to lessen when I drive the car for along period of time :?
That's a small sign of flat spotting, which makes sense as the tires warm up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
localbrew, I'm deffinetly intersted in what you find out when you take yours in. Please keep me update. Mine is weird. It goes on pretty regularly on mine, but I did notice that when we were driving around today that there were times when it disapppeard. I know one road in town is the cause for user cause my Audi does the same thing there and nothing the rest of the day. For me it starts right at 45 mph, is the worst at 55 and then steadies out above that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
madherm said:
localbrew, I'm deffinetly intersted in what you find out when you take yours in. Please keep me update. Mine is weird. It goes on pretty regularly on mine, but I did notice that when we were driving around today that there were times when it disapppeard. I know one road in town is the cause for user cause my Audi does the same thing there and nothing the rest of the day. For me it starts right at 45 mph, is the worst at 55 and then steadies out above that.
will do I'm taking it in tomorrow to see what they say.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Had the road force balance today, it helped but it's not gone. I guess the next thing is replace all the suspension components; lower, upper control arm bushings, ball joint, and tie rod ends. It will be about $800 in parts, I'll probably do it myself unless I find a good deal on labor on my dealer cuts me a deal :lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
local brew where are the pictures of your new 20s?

·
Registered
254 Posts
jakoh said:
local brew where are the pictures of your new 20s?
here you go.

[attachment=1:2y24m5da]back.jpg[/attachment:2y24m5da]
[attachment=0:2y24m5da]side.jpg[/attachment:2y24m5da]

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that sucks that it didn't fix it. My wife ended up calling RRUSA on other matters and told them about the shimmy since we've had it up there a couple of times. So RRUSA talked to the dealer and they are going to tow our up there and work on the shimmy and some other stuff. They are towing it so my wife doesn't have to drive an hour north and has no way back. The funny thing is that I had the same problem on my LR2 and it got fixed by rotating the tires. The shimmy on this truck isn't going away no matter what we do. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just finished this morning putting on a new set of Bridgestone Duellers (non run flats). I'm having a similar situation at 42mph, but it doesn't sound as bad as what you have, but similar. More of a vibration. The new tires have helped, but definately hasn't gotten totally rid of the problem. Must confess I didn't have mine done at the dealership since the work there was $350 more, which I thought was getting out of hand. They wanted $290 per tire for a set of Toyo Proxis. But these were Road Forced balanced and aligned. Folks at the tire shop inspected for any obvious worn parts for me since they had the tires off. They commeneted how good everything looked and how well I've taken care of this 2006. At this point I'm really wondering how much more I can pour into this car with 77K miles on it to try to correct the problem. I just think it can't be corrected and age is beginning to have a lot to do with it. Might just consider something new as soon as these tire begin to wear in another 25K or so. Even the new Grand Cherokees now with a similar offroad system fully loaded Overland edition is only $42K. Just have to wait it out to see if Fiat/Chrysler have gotten that car right. A little time will tell. Maybe consider a 2012 when they've had a full model year to get all the bugs out of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problems on a new (6000) mile 2008 TDV6 last year. Replacement of the steering rack cured it by 50 percent. Believe it or not the rest was cured by replacing the rear diff. I would check out both of these things if just messing with wheels and tires doesn't work.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Update - well I bought lower control arm, and upper control arm. I finally said screw it and am going to replace most everything below. I did see that one of the bushings is shot, I most likely could have gotten away with just doing the one arm but I figured while I'm down there might as well do it all.

I'll report back if that solved the shimmy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same thing with my 2006RRSSC, same exact shimmy. Just replaced tires with balance and alignment, still shimmies! WTF!!! RR must have 5000 complaints about this already, how is it possible they cant fix it?!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here is an update to what's been going on with my shimmy. So my wife had been talking to Range Rover corporate about another issue with that dealer (stained headliner and the tailgate not closing unless slammed). During the conversation she mentioned the shimmy issue. BTW, this was a week and a half ago. The dealer called a few hours later to talk about the issues. So last Monday they towed the truck the hour north since we had no way to get it up to the dealer with me being gone for a week. My first update was on Tuesday morning. They had the headliner clean and the tailgate was now closing normally after adjustments. The service manager told me that he drove the truck and there was a noticeable shimmy that wasn't normal. He wasn't sure what caused it but said that it could be due to the tires since they were the wrong size. The side story to that is that the place I bought the tires from ordered the wrong tires and I didn't catch it. I caught that it was the wrong tire by the tread but I didn't look at the size. They placed 274/45 20s on it instead of the 40s. My stupidity there for not double and triple checking after the first screw-up. Anyway, he said that since they were wrong it could be the cause and they wouldn't do anything else about it. So after that my wife called the tire dealer and got them to take the wrong tires back. I called the dealer and had them place Toyos in the right size on. That way the Rover would be back to stock. The dealer replaced my tires and low and behold, the wheel still shimmies. So last Thursday I get a new update. After the tires didn't fix the problem they hooked it up to some machine and figured out that the front right axle may be bent so a new one was ordered. I wasn't surprised when they said that didn't fix it. Their next step was to replace all four wheels with a brand new set. They drove the truck and the service manager said the shimmy was gone. Putting my wheels back on the road balance machine they found one of the wheels to be warped. Of course they won't replace that since they can't determine if it's something the prior owner did or came like that from the factory. I know which wheel it is so I guess I'll need to fine another one. I'm going to get the truck back on Monday. I'll post to see how it feels after that. I guess now I just need to argue the tire cupping after I break these new tires are on for a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did LR of Cary do all that when under warranty? Mine is out of warranty by 6 months but I am the original owner with 53K. Wonder whether it is worth calling LR USA?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah LR of Cary did all the work on mine. I'd rather take it to Charlotte, but it's another 45 min drive on top of going to Cary. They seem to have done ok. Now I just need to find another wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts