RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon All

I am really struggling with the removal of my Steering wheel. I have researched on line to see how it should be done, what it looks like with the wheel off etc, but i have been trying for days to get the air bag springs to release.

I have tried numerous tools, i have tried all the techniques that i have found on line, but, I cannot get this thing off. i am obviously doing something wrong, I am an engineer and trained builder so i am good with fixing things, but this has got me beat.

I know this issue has been to death, but i cant be the only one who struggles with this,

Is there anything else i can try

Many Thanks to you all.

J

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
All depends on what year L322 you have. without knowing which generation we can not advise proper removal... there are two types of releases. Early years use a push rod release from each side. Later models use pinch releases from the dash side of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
319 Posts
This drove me crazy too. Turns out that the guides from the first hole to the second hole were slightly bent on my L322. It really helps to have a tool that just barely fits in the first hole on the wheel.

I found this to be helpful too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ExPWINA88

Be patient, and good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just popped mine off last night on a 2006.

Need a fairly long, stiff, wire type tool to push in on the spring tabs concealed under the stearing wheel. You access this through the two small holes in the wheel behind the air bag.

When pushing in on the springs, you push the tool through the hole and in the direction of the other hole on the other side, not up towards you.

While pushing in it is important too push down on the stearing wheel centre to relieve the spring tension so it releases.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You,

I have a 2003 L322, so a early one. I am thinking that someone has done previously and damaged the spring release, because i just cannot get these too release and get the air bag to release.

I cant even feel something that feels like a spring, it's either very hard and no movement or i can push a 3 -4 inch tool all the way in.

I am looking at the special Land Rover tool and it has a small bend, looks like buying this, or its a trip to the dealer!!!! :crybaby2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts