RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

have a 2004 l322 4,4 and the steering wheel controls have packed in, was just an intermittent fault but is now is more permanent. SRS light is on and there is no comms to the SRS ecu by any means(testbook or main dealer). when you press the horn the SRS light dims like there is an earth issue. need a diagram showing earth points for this system and wiring for the CAN for the steering wheel Also in the wheel itself is an ECU, is this soley responsible for the steering wheel heating(which works) or does it control other communication parameters for the wheel buttons. Have had it in A RR dealer to look but they are stumped and want to charge fortunes to investigate and start replacing stuff, its not an ECU problem becuase as recently as this morning it all worked fine then stopped again. have checked all fuses and ran a continuity test on the coupler(pin to Pin) and all was fine have had all the dash down a wriggled wires to no avail. anyone else had simmular issue or can help with diagrams

Cheers

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
228 Posts
Here is the drawing you are after showing rotary coupler connections...

Rotary Coupler.jpg

The module inside the steering wheel is only for the heated steering wheel system, and as you say this works, so it is definitely looking like a rotary coupler problem or cables/connections to/from the module (S227)

The SRS communicates with the drivers airbag through the rotary coupler as does the horn...

SRS Rotary Coupler.jpg Horn.jpg

As you sat you have checked the connections through the rotary coupler, it may also be a problem with the steering wheel button modules. As you are getting SRS light illuminated when the horn is pressed, you need to methodically check all the wiring from the steering wheel through the rotary coupler and through to SRS DCU. The above drawings should help you identify which ones.

Let me know if you need any more information.
Gyro

PS - after seeing this posted, the pics are not so good. PM me your email address and I will send them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
222 Posts
Did you find the problem? Im having gthe same problems.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
422 Posts
In BMWs of a comparable vintage, very odd electrical issues (when vanity mirror is open and closed I have a clicking noise by the ignition) can be caused by a bad ignition switch. That's where I'd start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all I am having the same problem I had a diagnostics done and it was said to be the ignition switch /barrel am having a new one fitted on Thursday ,so I will let you know if it has cured the problem fingers crossed

·
Registered
2005 Range Rover HSE Bonnati Grey
3 Posts
2005 Range Rover HSE

Hey guys sorry to revive an old post but I am having the same issue and I cannot figure out how to fix it. The problem, sterring wheels buttons don't work at all, horn, cruise etc. only the heated wheel which we all know operates seperatly. Secondly the only code I have is in the engine module for "Steering wheel signal inconsistent " . So far I have purchased a new ignition switch, the electronic bottom part, oem Rover. And also I installed a used rotary coupler that was tested and said to be fully functional with working cruise.

Both of these did nothing to solve the problem, no difference at all. I'm stumped at this point. I don't care about the cruise but without a functioning horn the truck won't pass inspection. Does anyone have an ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
43 Posts
I had the same problem. Had to have a pro fix it. A few mechanics had no ideal. Had to buy new horns & clock spring but he was able to get the rest working with no new parts.

·
Registered
2005 Range Rover HSE Bonnati Grey
3 Posts
Thanks, looks like I'll have to take a deep dive into the wiring. Does anyone have the wiring diagram from the clock spring back into the fuse panel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts