Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Anyone know what this message is? "Steering vibration activated - drive with care".

My car does not have lane/drivers assist. When the message came on the steering wheel was vibrating. I pulled-over & shut off the engine. The steering wheel continued to vibrate for 2-3 sec after the car was off. I waited 10sec and restarted the engine and everything was normal.

Thanks.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Any and all dash warnings are normally covered in the owners manual. I suggest starting there

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys. this is a 2014.5 RRS L494; this vehicle has electronic assist power steering. The OM does not cover the error.

I suspect the (original factory) main battery may be starting to lose amps. I know that RRs get wonky electrical symptoms when battery power drops.

It was really cold this morning and the steering felt a bit stiff and maybe "notched". After ambient temp rose, everything seems good again. I will have to get the battery tested.

Any other thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick update so future readers benefit from my learnings. The symptoms I had were indeed caused by a weak main battery. I installed a new Bosch AGM (by Exide) battery and the problems went away.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
299 Posts
Nice. Good that it was a simple fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yet more developments... problem reoccurred on a very cold morning. LR dealer experienced the problem and found water inside the steering rack. The freezing temps were causing the water to seize the rack. They are not sure where the leak exists but my recent offroading in wet conditions allowed plenty of water to seep in. Bad news: will require bags of $$ to replace the rack... I think the part itself is ~$3K.

I got a chance to speak with the service tech and apparently, the Steering Vibration Mode is a safety feature that the ECU engages when it thinks the rack is going to seize. The oscillation of the rack is designed to avoid seizure. If you experience this then its a pretty bad sign and you need to get to a safe place to stop the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yet more developments... problem reoccurred on a very cold morning. LR dealer experienced the problem and found water inside the steering rack. The freezing temps were causing the water to seize the rack. They are not sure where the leak exists but my recent offroading in wet conditions allowed plenty of water to seep in. Bad news: will require bags of $$ to replace the rack... I think the part itself is ~$3K.

I got a chance to speak with the service tech and apparently, the Steering Vibration Mode is a safety feature that the ECU engages when it thinks the rack is going to seize. The oscillation of the rack is designed to avoid seizure. If you experience this then its a pretty bad sign and you need to get to a safe place to stop the vehicle.
So im starting to get the exact messege in only turns off when engine off. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this? How did you eventually resolve? Was it just a battery change? Or new rack?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So im starting to get the exact messege in only turns off when engine off. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this? How did you eventually resolve? Was it just a battery change? Or new rack?
It was the rack. The boots and seals were shot and water seeped in. In freezing weather the rack was unable to move properly because of ice. I assume sand, dirt & debris could have the same effect once the rubber seals are compromised.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was the rack. The boots and seals were shot and water seeped in. In freezing weather the rack was unable to move properly because of ice. I assume sand, dirt & debris could have the same effect once the rubber seals are compromised.
Hi and thank you for the update.

Iv noticed the vibration comes on randomly and then seems all power is lost to the steering when turning. Was this the same for you?

how much did it cost? Did you need whole new rack? Or did the land rover repair this for free? iv looked this up and it seems there have been recalls in canada and its to do with the aluminium bolts that are attached to the rack that are known to corrode.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My symptoms were: while driving, the steering would suddenly become very heavy, like a stationary car without power steering, then this was quickly followed by a rapid vibration felt through the steering wheel and heard, simultaneously the error message would flash on the dashboard. This would continue until the ignition was turned off.

They replaced the entire rack, the dealership wanted $6000 for the job. Car was out of warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi thats exactly what im getting.

iv spoken to other drivers in the uk who have advised they managed to get this paid from land rover as part of a complaint as they had been recalls in canada and even the driving standards agency in the uk had found that there are 3 aluminimum bolts that become corrosive and are faulty.

if you have paid out from your own pocket maybe claim for a refund. I will be going the route of logging a complaint first.

i shall let you know how i get on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi awryexperime
Hope you well. Wanted to ask
Do you know when the steering vibration used to activate, did you use come on everytime you start the car? Iv noticed its comes on quite often but not everytime. Just wondering if this has got to do with the steering rack.

your view would be really helpful as i currently hae a ongoing dispute with landrover.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My symptoms did not occur every time I turned the car on. In my case, it was only during extreme cold temperatures (well below freezing) that water was freezing inside the rack and causing it to bind. If I stopped the car and turned off the ignition, the problem would not return immediately upon restarting the car. It would return, but the time varied. When I drove it to the dealer for diagnosis I had to stop several times to restart the car and then drive a few more miles. I suppose that had the condition gone unnoticed/undetected until warmer weather, then corrosion or some other soil/debris would have caused the rack to bind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.