RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Anyone know what this message is? "Steering vibration activated - drive with care".

My car does not have lane/drivers assist. When the message came on the steering wheel was vibrating. I pulled-over & shut off the engine. The steering wheel continued to vibrate for 2-3 sec after the car was off. I waited 10sec and restarted the engine and everything was normal.

Thanks.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Any and all dash warnings are normally covered in the owners manual. I suggest starting there

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys. this is a 2014.5 RRS L494; this vehicle has electronic assist power steering. The OM does not cover the error.

I suspect the (original factory) main battery may be starting to lose amps. I know that RRs get wonky electrical symptoms when battery power drops.

It was really cold this morning and the steering felt a bit stiff and maybe "notched". After ambient temp rose, everything seems good again. I will have to get the battery tested.

Any other thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick update so future readers benefit from my learnings. The symptoms I had were indeed caused by a weak main battery. I installed a new Bosch AGM (by Exide) battery and the problems went away.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
Nice. Good that it was a simple fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yet more developments... problem reoccurred on a very cold morning. LR dealer experienced the problem and found water inside the steering rack. The freezing temps were causing the water to seize the rack. They are not sure where the leak exists but my recent offroading in wet conditions allowed plenty of water to seep in. Bad news: will require bags of $$ to replace the rack... I think the part itself is ~$3K.

I got a chance to speak with the service tech and apparently, the Steering Vibration Mode is a safety feature that the ECU engages when it thinks the rack is going to seize. The oscillation of the rack is designed to avoid seizure. If you experience this then its a pretty bad sign and you need to get to a safe place to stop the vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts