RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been meaning to fix the reach pert of the system for the steering adjustment for some time but now find I am forced to address it because the tilt went 'floppy' before jamming at the lowest setting. Preliminary investigation with a mirror reveals that it looks like there is a breakage on part of the mechanism meaning that the stirrup guide can traverse left and right freely. I could get a full upper steering column imported for somewhere between NZ$1,500 and $2,500 depending on age and shipping costs but would prefer to take the thing out and make a piece to replace what looks like a broken alloy casting. Has anyone tried this before? I am a metallurgist by trade so have no problem with access to manufacturing equipment locally but am based in rural south island New Zealand so big city dealerships are out.

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
you can buy one of those pieces seperatly online i have seen one before for sale on ebay i will try to find the listing

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just gotten the same problem. Looking forward for the assistance in buying the peace separately. My short term solution has been to fix the steering wheel in the highest position. I have used aviation safety wire which is strong and thin. The wire is routed around the remaining alloy tap and around the bolt on the right side - no interference with the steering mechanism. Also I have removed the small tap between the tilt motor and the rotating shaft. the only problem is that the tilt motor is running which i have to stop by tapping the elevation control arm. Short term solution :)
Jens, Denmark

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not easy to rebuild, believe me, because the gold-coloured part must be fit 100% to the broken (now new) metal fog, and you must build out thecolumn, because of the steering goes through the grey metal fog...., fitted yesterday one of them, eight hours Job...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sent a message but just to repeat How would I get that Spindle off I found a donor motor at local junkyard but don't want to risk taking of broken one and risk breaking my upper steering column, donor is not usable except for that spindle. Thanks Mate!!

·
Banned
177 Posts
very easy to install actually all you need to do is remove the airbag steering wheel and clock spring 2 8mm screws holding the steering colum ecu piece and 2 pins that hold it in place after all that is off put the steering wheel back in place and tighten the 16mm bolt and tug on the steering wheel dont be afraid to pull as it is in there tight once that is off you will need to take of the tilt motor held in place by 2 small allen wrenches after that this golish silver broken piece will come of

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks man I think I know what you mean but just to be sure here is a pic of how far I've gotten. It seems the upper and lower steering columns should come apart allow me to remove my "prized" ring

Attachments

·
Banned
177 Posts
no that is the wrong end you do not need to start at the back end of the steering column you need to start at the front

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Roverdoc88 thanks for the tips man, I got the ring off after going through the front on the donor column , I removed that spring and pulled the rod through the back. It seems that there is a plastic housing under that first bearing in the front which is subject to break if its removed, problem is the machine shop broke the housing in the front so not sure how to take those two large side pins off or is that not necessary? I really hope that I'm not pushing my questions but Im off for a while and don't mind saving $2500 by not going to the local Stealership

Attachments

·
Banned
177 Posts
those 2 pins on the side are held in with 2 8mm screws and a bracket once those are removed just use some pliers to pull them out you might want to mark witch one came out of witch side as it will be easier to put back in later and them put the steering wheel back on witht he 16mm and tug on the steering wheel then it will come out easily i might make a you tube video for you guys tonight i will post the link here and hopefully it will help you guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the video and the tips, have to take some time off from Weekend warrior mode to go pay the bills but as soon as I get it done I'll post some feedback!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok finally got around to doing this job and it went very well and thanks to RoverDoc88 super easy. to anyone with this problem I'd say, 1. CALM DOWN 2. WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE!!!!!!. I removed almost all the surrounding trim for the steering wheel to do this job only to realize that was unnecessary so all you need to remove are 1. 3 hex screws under steering column and the other pieces instructed in the video. I was lucky to find a replacement tilt ring in the junk yard so id say do some digging before taking you column apart, unless its just to prop it up then these first steps still apply. good luck guys and no specialty tools needed either. In the video the column is off the car but you don't need to do that , everything can be done by just rotating and removing the two side pines with a shifting spanner, let it hang and pry out that nasty ring from hell.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have just gotten the same problem. Looking forward for the assistance in buying the peace separately. My short term solution has been to fix the steering wheel in the highest position. I have used aviation safety wire which is strong and thin. The wire is routed around the remaining alloy tap and around the bolt on the right side - no interference with the steering mechanism. Also I have removed the small tap between the tilt motor and the rotating shaft. the only problem is that the tilt motor is running which i have to stop by tapping the elevation control arm. Short term solution :)
Jens, Denmark
I have done exactly the same as you except that I used heavy duty nylon cable ties.

As for the steering motor still running just unplug its connector and cable tie it somewhere safe. The only consequence is that you will get a different fault code when you scan it.

Also, if you have an IIdtool or similar you can program it to disable the 'easy entry' so the steering no longer tries to retract/extend when you turn the ignition key.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,421 Posts
Rob, from the photos, it looks like Meerbusch (above) is the eBay seller.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts