Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently used my Fuel burning heater and later that day I had a completely flat battery. Anyway charged the battery and got the old girl going and after this I started having issues with my steering wheel tilt.
When leaving the car the wheel would try to lift out of the way however the motor would continue to motor and would only stop if I stopped manually. Also when entering the car the steering wheel would move down and try to crush my legs until again I would need to stop manually.
I have read many threads stating that it could be a dodgy battery so I changed it. I have also disconnected both battery terminals and earthed together however the problem still persists. Any ideas out there? Terry

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The only suggestion I could make is to have the dealer reprogram for inactivity. At least then it would sit in one position. Our tilt does not work and I am thinking whether a motor replacement is in order since the wheel is down and shrouds the instrument cluster. hope another answer comes your way soon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have posted this same thread on 3 Range Rover sites and everyone who responded suggests disabling it. Call me old fashioned but I would like to fix it.

Thanks anyway

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't speak to your specific instance yet as I'm still learning about the L322 myself, but usually in these circumstances (e.g. with my LR3), the movement of the seat, mirrors, and probably the steering wheel column are all controlled by a "Comfort Control Module". These modules/ECUs can go bad and when they do, "things" don't return to the proper places... seats don't go where they're supposed to, rear view mirrors don't return to their proper position after tilting down for reverse, etc. This may be your problem, but I don't know how I would suggest checking it aside from swapping in a known good unit.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Had a simular issue and after buying a new tilt motor trying to fix the fault. when I pulled the column out I found that the Flexible shaft that connects from the motor to the worm drive, was busted, still trying to find a replacement. Tried a nylon rod that I squared the ends, but didn't work so until I find a replacement , I have unplugged the tilt motor.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
887 Posts
I doubt your module went out. I think you likely have a couple things happening. First, the module probably dumped the memory, which is a simple matter of re-programming your settings. Now the other thing is chronic with these cars.

The module is located in the side of the drivers seat...under the side moulding that I bet is loose?? The controls for the steering column originate in the lever on the column, then go down into the side seat panel, and then back up to the column. When the side moulding gets loose, it starts mangling the connectors to the colunmn tilt. It starts to loose the signals, both for where you move the seat and as feedback as to where the column is actually positioned.

Check you trim. If it's loose, remove it and double check the module connections. Once you have the tilt working correctly, button it up and re-program it. You should be good...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys, something for me to check tomorrow. I will report back later. Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts