RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a shimmy in the steering when braking hard at 80 km/hr. Sounds like a classic Range Rover death wobble but the damper has it under control. Anyone got any ideas? Is there something I can tighten or adjust?

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I would say possibly a few things. A warped rotor would cause that. Caliper slider pin seized would cause uneven pressure on the pads making this happen. First two things that come to mind.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Mine was a warped rotor (disc).

·
Registered
450 Posts
there is nothing to tighten , ball joints are fixed even the wheel bearings are fixed , if there is any movement its replace only no adjustments , so its a brake issue or worn parts . my guess would be uneven disc wear followed by upper or lower ball joints and steering arms, check ball joint of steering box?. you can reverse your tyres front to rear but I don't think it will help as I don't think its actually wheel shimming, but a wheel balance wont hurt.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I thought an unevenly worn rotor was most likely, but I'll check for wear in ball joints etc. I had put the spare on the front recently, so suspected that, but when I got a new tire fitted the problem was still there. Funny that it sets up harmonics at 80 km/hr but not noticable at other speeds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Funnily enough, been having a similar thing, unholy shudder when braking hard over a certain speed. Recently had the calipers out, for something else, but while I was there, cleaned and greased the sliding pins. Result: shudder pretty much gone. Still need to change the rotors, mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts