RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Guys, replacing this half-shaft has 100% solved the stiff steering issue.
I have ordered a new bottom joint bolt and will replace it once it arrive.
They're sold in packs of 5 so if you need one let me know - I will share.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Guys guys guys, if you do this job, 100% absolutely order new bolts.
I had a little bit too much free play of a steering wheel and desided to go back and torque the bolts to spec which is 20 ft/lb for both...
And... see pic...
1 look is worth 1000 words, besides, there is nothing I have to say for which I will not get banned from the forum...
From the look of the head of the bolt, it was removed and re-used more then once. Probably at least once when dealer replaced the engine and disconnected body from chassis.
New hardware where required? No never heard of such thing...

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Awesome Roman. Glad my skepticism about the steering shaft being the problem was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Roman - glad you got it fixed. During my new motor install I pulled out the steering rack to clean everything real good and so I had to disconnect the lower shaft. I went through left wheel arch.

FYI for anyone doing this in the future, the manual specifically mentions to not turn the steering wheel after the shaft has been disconnected, something about a spring . . .

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I had engine replaced in 2018 so dealer had to disengage bottom of steering shaft in order to detach body of chassis at least once in my ownership of this RRS... From looks of it, how many times, do you thing this bold was reused by LR dealer, despite manual clearly say "discrard and use new one"?

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh, also, I'd like to mention... Now that the steering wheel is no longer stiff/too tight to turn, I feel a little bit too much of a free play in middle/straight position, I'd say 10° left or right feels like too lose and obviously some loss in sharpness of the steering. Loss of steering sharpnes/sensitivity in the straight/middle position was there before, just due to binding of u-joint of steering shaft I could not feel that sting wheel has too much play L to R.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts