Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my steering shaft out to have it lengthened for the RTE two inch body lift. Everything went fine and the shaft is ready to go back in. However, the U-joints look pretty nasty and I would like to clean them up before reinstalling the shaft. My questions is how should I clean them up and what should I re-grease them with. My current thoughts are clean them with some mineral spirits and a toothbrush and then re-grease with some bearing grease. Open to any suggestions as I'd like to do it right the first time.

Thanks
Clayton

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hiya Clayton,

Clean up sounds about right to me... at least that's what I do !
The RAVE manual indicates NLGI - 2 Multi-purpose Lithium based GREASE for - Propeller shaft Front and Rear,
Lubrication nipples (hubs, ball joints etc.), Seat slides & Door lock striker.......
That's what I'd use.... unless someone else can chime in with another opinion. :thumb:

Cheers
Rod

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Clayton Cox said:
I took my steering shaft out to have it lengthened for the RTE two inch body lift.
You do not need to extend the steering shaft for a 2 inch body lift, a standard shaft fits fine.

There is no real way to grease the steering shaft unis as there are plastic seals on each area. I just spray some WD40 on them from time to time and it seems to help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts