RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace mine.

Does anyone know why the first is about twice the price of the second?

or

Thanks - Tom

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They both appear to be the same part - a P38 steering shaft, unless I missed something obvious. I'll probably go with the more expensive one anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
I bought a Europarts one about 3 years ago and, unlike the original, it is all steel rather than alloy with a hex shaped centre section rather than fine splines. Never got around to fitting it (adjusted the steering box and found I didn't really need it) until recently (something to do during lockdown) only to find a small amount of play in the bottom UJ. The one I got looked like the picture of the Britpart one with the exposed rubber joint at the top, whereas the picture of the new Europarts one looks slightly different. I ordered an OE one from LRDirect (QME500190 | Steering Shaft - Land Rover Part QME500190) expecting it to be the alloy one but again is the all steel one but this time without the play.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LR Direct's OE part appears to be the Britpart too with the same part number as Island 4x4:

Land Rover Steering Shaft|Part Number:QME500190|Brand:ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT|Supplier:BRITPART

The Eurospares part appears to be the lower cost option, but my mechanic here regularly fits them without issues and I can get one locally for not too much more than on line so I'm going that way. Mine has lots of play in the rubber coupling.

Thanks Richard

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got my Eurospares shaft delivered. Looks very nicely made with no play in any of the three joints. New one goes in with Torx bolts whereas original has bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts