RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my steering rack died last week, spewed fluid all over the garage floor. I ordered a rebuilt replacement and it should be here soon. Thinking of tackling this job this weekend. Anyone DIY'd a steering rack on a L320 before? According to the service manual it looks like a straightforward job. Any tips? TIA

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may want to consider locking the wheel in place with either the steering column or maybe a pillow. When I did the swap on ours, the wheel ended up spinning around a few times and when I got everything hooked back up and the battery connected, the thing threw every fault in the book at me.

When I tried to test drive it, the truck acted like it had no power steering. I was pretty freaked out, but a trip to the LR service and they had to re-calibrate the steering. Cleared every fault and drove like new again.

Where did you order from? Price? I bought one from AutoZone that was remanned and I couldn't believe when I opened it up it still had Land Rover stampings and came in at under $300.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to consider locking the wheel in place with either the steering column or maybe a pillow. When I did the swap on ours, the wheel ended up spinning around a few times and when I got everything hooked back up and the battery connected, the thing threw every fault in the book at me.

When I tried to test drive it, the truck acted like it had no power steering. I was pretty freaked out, but a trip to the LR service and they had to re-calibrate the steering. Cleared every fault and drove like new again.

Where did you order from? Price? I bought one from AutoZone that was remanned and I couldn't believe when I opened it up it still had Land Rover stampings and came in at under $300.
Awesome thanks, I'm not too worried but thanks for the tip. I have a laptop with all the range rover software so I can calibrate it if needed. I ended up getting one re-manufactured off of ebay for $230, figure I'd also do the sway bar bushings while I'm in there.

How hard was the job on a scale from 1 being an oil change to 10 being an engine swap?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hard to remember every aspect, but I'd give it a 4-5. If I recall, one of the hardest parts was reaching the small nut/bolt that attaches the rack to the steering shaft @ the splines. I may have removed the PORT side wheel well liner to gain access. Everything else is simple, be gentle on the hydraulic line fittings, no need to kill them.

Remember to have enough ACE fluid on hand, I think 2L's did it the trick for me (I did not drain the entire system).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've never hated a car part more. Everything was a tight fit and don't even get me started on trying to pull this out after everything was disconnected. Today I get to install the new one... yay

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well dang. I wonder if they reworked anything between yours and our 2011. I think my swap went pretty easily.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn't that bad I guess, just annoying to get out with the weird angles, putting the new one in was much easier. I'm also getting the tons of errors you got (I didn't move the steering wheel). So today I'm dropping it off for an alignment and resetting of the steering angle sensor. Throwing on some new sway bar links as this car just eats them up. Should be good to go after that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, it must throw everything off when that electrical lead is disconnected. Hope it's all back to normal now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it must throw everything off when that electrical lead is disconnected. Hope it's all back to normal now.
So I drive it to get aligned Monday afternoon... as soon as I pull into the shop, it starts leaking antifreeze everywhere. I just said fix that too and left. The shop hasn't called me yet 😬

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hopefully it's that cheap, crappy plastic fitting up top. Why on earth these auto engineers ever thought plastic was a good idea for critical engine parts....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully it's that cheap, crappy plastic fitting up top. Why on earth these auto engineers ever thought plastic was a good idea for critical engine parts....
Turns out the cooling fan was rubbing against a coolant hose and broke it. Still don't have the rover back, hopefully today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts