Range Rovers Forum banner

Steering Rack longevity.

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Stephen V 
#1 ·
Hy guys, just wondering how many RRS owners had to replace steering rack and at what mileage?
Reason I ask - I had recently replaced lower steering half-shaft and now that steering is no longer stiff due to binding U-joint, I have about 10° of free play and have to continuously correct the car, especially if go straight.
I have verified that half-shaft is bolted down securely at both ends, I had someone shake the steering wheel L to R continuosly while holding my hand at both joints as well as visually VIA endoscope camera. That free play is somewhere down the pipeline, so to speak.
I have service appointment on Thursday and have pre-ordered 2 sets of inner and oughter tie rods (by Delphi) as well as new boots just because everything was under $100, but really wondering if this could be the rack itself? I haven't seen any specific steering rack specific posts so decided to ask.
Thanks in advance for your input.

#3 ·
Here is a lr3 guy that had similar issues and solution

Problem solved. The steering column consists on several sections. Two of those section mate up above the foot pedals just inside of the firewall. There is a male/female sleeve the is secured with a bolt and nut. The bolt and nut was not cinched down. That allowed slop movement between the sections. A few turns with a 13mm socket and it once again steers like butta! Thanks for the suggestions. I did notice that my right cv boot is leaking a little grease out from under the small end of the boot. Looks like the clamp isn't tight. Does anyone have experience changing out the cv clamps. Can you use a hose clamp or a strong zip tie? Thanks again. Phil

#4 ·
Roman - I would be very, very surprised if the rack itself is causing this, especially with your mileage. Unless you had some kind of major damage, there is no way a steering rack (i.e. rack and pinion) would have that kind of play. A steering box on the other hand, that's a different story. . . . .

#7 ·
Correct, also referred to as "ball-type" sometimes. Usually used on larger vehicles like trucks and SUV's, although my 2002 BMW M5 has a steering box not rack and pinion.

If you have a steering box you also have more parts in your steering system which is one of the reasons they develop play much more easily. You have "pitman arms" and a center links and idler arms, oh my!

#8 ·
Well, congtatulations ME! Just returned from local Euro shop, they say my rack is done. +/- 10° Motion from steering goes in and does not come out.
Quoted about $3500 repair, parts and labor.
Option 2) my indy in Brooklyn says he can get BOUSCH R&P rebuilt for $1700+400 labor
Option 3) there is a R&P offered locally from parted out RRS with 68k miles for $400 with 6 month warranty.
I went with option 3. I have pre-ordered 2 outer and inner toe rods thinking that they might be the problem, so I have them and will try to replace it by my self upon doing some reading and research.
If procedure does not look like space ship build - will go for it

#10 ·
Roman - there is really good access to the rack from under the front bumper, I think you'll find it's not too bad of a job once you've disconnected the intermediate shaft.

#11 ·
Thanks Knalex01. I certainly hope so. The rack I got had few rusty spots on metal part of it, I treated it with rust converter and few coats of rust barrier paint. Replaced both inner toe rods, boots and wiped out old grease from actual rack and generously reapplied synthetic grease by Mobile1. Outer rods will install when old rack is out- will try to get them as close to orinal setting as I can.

#12 ·
Here some pics

Attachments

#13 ·
To reply to your original inquiry, I did mine at 190k miles. I had it submerged through water multiple times recently so that probably didn't help. Did full tie rod assemblies, the rack and the steering shaft all once and it was night and day difference from before.

#15 ·
Hy guys, just wondering how many RRS owners had to replace steering rack and at what mileage?
Reason I ask - I had recently replaced lower steering half-shaft and now that steering is no longer stiff due to binding U-joint, I have about 10° of free play and have to continuously correct the car, especially if go straight.
I have verified that half-shaft is bolted down securely at both ends, I had someone shake the steering wheel L to R continuosly while holding my hand at both joints as well as visually VIA endoscope camera. That free play is somewhere down the pipeline, so to speak.
I have service appointment on Thursday and have pre-ordered 2 sets of inner and oughter tie rods (by Delphi) as well as new boots just because everything was under $100, but really wondering if this could be the rack itself? I haven't seen any specific steering rack specific posts so decided to ask.
Thanks in advance for your input.
I realise that my reply is too late but I am now replacing my 2007 TDV8 Sports steering rack @ 270,000km.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.